2 roos fighting question?

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
OK kinda a long story...... lil Roo was born here, big roo and little roo lived together for 1 1/2 yrs, lil roo just kinda stayed to himself with his mother but they all slept in the same coop ate same food ect ect........Last oct, big Roo got sick, we brang him in the house for a month and a half to take care of him, big roo got better so we put him back out , little roo attacked him and since he wasn't 100%, still wobbly on his feet big Roo ran out the yard and down the street, several times! Since winter was coming i made a temporary coop by stealing one of the dogs doghouses and cutting a holes in a chicken tractor. Big Roo stayed in it with one of our hens for the first month and then i switch them and lil Roo has stayed in it the last month and half. several times lil Roo has Escaped and they have fought and is been bloody. my question is How do i integrate them back into the same coop, they free range during the day. and i have 4 girls. every time they have fought the end result is one running or turning on there back, but then if it the little one that runs he will eventually come back for round 2, if its my old Roo that runs he hides and will not come out and if he does the lil Roo attacks again. would penning one inside the coop help integrate them? getting more girls in spring? i do not want to get rid of either. he is his son and all the roosters we have have come from same lines, lil Roo is also half bantam and beautiful. But the dog want her house back, I just want them back to how they were. Please any ideas on what i can do, beside kill one or build another coop!!!!! Also am i doing the wrong thing by letting them spar but then separating them,but then taking the loser/winner i wouldn't separate them except that is winter and cold at night and i want them both in a "coop" and not outside in the 5 degree weather. but is this just adding to the problem?

You don't have a lot of options, at this point it's either keep them separately and rotate them as you are doing or let them fight it out. Two roosters can be a big problem because once they start going at it there's only the two, if there's more than two than the dynamics change a bit and there isn't that drive to get rid of the other one. You have unfortunately a situation where the two may never live in peace together. Things will get a bit worse as Spring is approaching and hormones are revving up.

It sounds like the little one wants the other one gone, permanently. So you have 2 choices, 2 pens or just one rooster.

so should i get another rooster? And the Big Roo is older i think he is 4 now and because of this sickness he got he is not in the greatest shape physically(balance is off) not to mention he has almost no toes/nails left so i have not witness him breeding since he got sick even though he is mobil and still corrals his girls kinda but i do not believe he is breeding. would this make a difference.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like the old guy will be around for much longer, I wouldn't add another right now. I like raising my new roosters from chick, they join the flock at around 8 weeks and grow up knowing their place. Your younger one was like that until the older got sick, it's normal for them to take over as the older roosters start to fail.

Back
Top Bottom