Eating eggs - best way to crack a duck egg

smithmal

Songster
5 Years
Jun 29, 2015
Maryland; Carroll County
So I've been eating duck eggs for the past 3 months (I eat them fried, scrambled and in pancakes). They taste great and I'm thoroughly pleased with their flavor. Because of their thicker shell, I have yet to find a full proof way to crack them open without having to fish cracked shells out of my frying pan.

Does anyone have any hints about this? Anyone ever used the EZ Cracker with duck eggs?

smithmal

I have been given several egg shelling or cooking devices over the past years because people know I have laying birds. None of them worked well. For cracking I find tapping gently on a counter, then rotating it and hitting again gives a longer break line that seems to work well for me. If done correctly I can pull it apart in a fairly clean line.

The other thing I recommend is cracking the egg into a bowl then pouring that into the pan. Sometimes you will get a funny egg (meat spots, blood spots, etc.) and if your cracking them all straight in the pan and one needs to be fished out its a hassle. Cracking into a bowl for each gives you a chance to see the eggs before committing.

If you need to have hard cooked I strongly suggest steaming them. Hard cooked duck eggs are known for being a hassle to peel. Steaming them is super easy and makes the shells come off really easy. Plus the eggs are perfectly cooked with none of that icky brown layer on the outer part of the yolk once you get the timing for your size egg.

To steam eggs set the bottom of a steamer pot with some water to boil. I use a couple of inches so it won't have any chance to go dry. Once the water is boiling put your eggs in the steamer top and put the lid on. Steam 15 minutes for chicken and 20 to 25 for duck. Check one to make sure the time is right for your size eggs and chill immediately in ice water.

I use tempered glass bowls. They have a squarish-edge that is flat on top.

I place my eggs in a small bowl of cool water and a drop of unscented dish soap. Wash each one carefully with soapy water. rinse.

smash egg on the bowl edge midway a long side of the egg. This is enough to make a crack in the shell.

Gently pull the crack apart and let egg plop into bowl. About 90% of the time I can break it without having to fish out shell bits. When i do get shell bits it usually because it didnt make the crack big enough or didn't have the egg flat when i smashed it on the long side of the egg.

+1 for cracking into a bowl and pouring into a pan.

+1 on steaming eggs. We live at over 1,000 feet so boiling water and cooking eggs gets weird if you try to do a traditional hard boil.

I thin kthe steamed eggs have a better texture than boiled eggs.

Once all 4 of my hens are laying i'm going to experiment with pressure cooking eggs. I hear you can get a perfect soft boil in just a few minutes. At our elevation we cant cook soft boiled eggs the normal way.

If you adventurous, I'd recommend a creme brulee with duck eggs. They make such a nice fluffy custard for so little effort.

There's actually been a "scientifically" proven way posted in regards to cracking eggs (see here). i tried this technique this morning with three duck eggs I was using to make scrambled eggs and it worked... no shells in my eggs.

There's actually been a "scientifically" proven way posted in regards to cracking eggs (see here). i tried this technique this morning with three duck eggs I was using to make scrambled eggs and it worked... no shells in my eggs.
That is interesting especially since duck eggs are so hard to crack anyway I have been tempted to use a hammer. Just kidding but boy my Scovy's eggs are tough to crack. I am going to try the knife. Thanks for sharing. and hopefully no one will cart me off the the crazy house.

Rapping it with a steak knife is my go to cracking method. You usually get a clean break through the shell and membrane.

Back
Top Bottom