Straightening a Leg

Calendula

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2014
Recently, one of my hens was limping. I separated her from the flock and let her rest on it for a few days like I did with my rooster when his leg was hurt a while back.
Yesterday, she wanted out of the cage, so I let her out to hobble around and she seemed perfectly fine... except that the injured leg is now turned inwards.
I can't put her back in with the flock as they tried to kill her, so she is now separated with my rooster. I'm hoping that maybe after a while, the hens will grow used to her again.
Is there anyone to set her leg straight now? Or to get the flock to reaccept her?

I would place her in a crate near the other chickens, so they can see each other. When my hen was attacked last fall, she walked with her legs turned in for a few weeks, but she finally healed from her injuries and started to walk normally. Hopefully, after a few weeks of rest, she can be integrated back into the flock. There is always pecking and bullying when reentering the flock, but usually they work things out with supervision. If a vet is available, you could always get an XRay in case she has a broken bone.

I can try and get a picture tomorrow.

Thank you so much, Eggcessive! You've given me hope. Everyone else keeps saying to cull her and I know I probably should, but... she's still alert and still hobbles around to eat grass and try and scratch like a normal chicken. It's just her foot is a bit twisted inwards.
I did have her in a large dog cage for about a week. Now she's in a pen that I usually put young birds that are about to move into the flock in. I put her in with my rooster because he's the only bird I know won't hurt her.... Should I remove her and put her back in the dog cage to confine her movement, or do you think she's fine in there?

Back
Top Bottom