Broken leg? Sprain? How to tell

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I just went out to the coop and my 6 month old didn’t greet me. She was laying down but did eventually move when I picked her up.

She’s limping and holding her leg up.

The vet is closed today. And I’m supposed to go out of town tomorrow evening!

Any advice on how to tell if it’s broken/vs sprained? It seems a little swollen but I’m not sure what else to look for. I can move her upper leg and straighten it. Straightening it seems to make her uncomfortable. Her toes all seem fine.

Edit to add: photos and it’s her right leg

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    567.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Sprains and strains are not uncommon, from landing wonky when jumping or getting a leg hung up somewhere. I will attach a splinting manual that explains how to examine for a fracture, I would not splint unless you are sure there is a fracture. Otherwise I would limit her activity by crating her in the run with the others, so they can still all see each other, that is less stressful. If needed you can use a chicken sling for periods to let her take the weight off and rest it, you need to supervise that, sometimes they freak out and try to get out and can injure themselves. Images below for examples. If needed, warm epsom salt soaks can help with pain and swelling, make sure she's completely dry after. Sprains and strains can sometimes take weeks to months to completely resolve, it's hard to predict. Once she can get around pretty normally, get on the roosts, not be at risk of being hurt by the others, then I'd let her back with the flock, even if there is a slight limp. Judgement call for you, based on how she's doing.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

5d900e5646be3ce5eb1e6f1645a6ed14.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
Update: she stopped limping after about a day. She appeared to be fine. I couldn’t feel anything broken after multiple exams…. It’s now a few weeks later and although she’s not limping it seems like she’s slightly favoring the other leg. It’s difficult to tell if there’s any swelling. I would say maybe some, but nothing super noticeable.

I noticed this soft squishy lump that wasn’t there before?

Also, she’s getting new feathers on the “injured” leg and not the other one.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 45
Update: she stopped limping after about a day. She appeared to be fine. I couldn’t feel anything broken after multiple exams…. It’s now a few weeks later and although she’s not limping it seems like she’s slightly favoring the other leg. It’s difficult to tell if there’s any swelling. I would say maybe some, but nothing super noticeable.

I noticed this soft squishy lump that wasn’t there before?

Also, she’s getting new feathers on the “injured” leg and not the other one.

Thoughts?
I’m dealing with this right now. Couldn’t find my hen that always comes when I call her name. I found her sitting on hay looking like something was wrong but didn’t get up to greet me. When I sat down she hopped over and that’s when I realized it was her leg. I brought her in my house in a cage and gave her mash. Of course it’s a Saturday and no one open. I’m going to rest her today and see if she’s better in the morning. One of our goats broke his leg with a clean break a few years back and it was dangling. She’s not like that. She holds her foot up to body and can stand on the other leg fine. This same hen did what your hen is doing in pic once where it’s just barely off ground and she was fine next morning.

I see your little pouch of swelling. I may soak my hens leg in apple cider vinegar. It takes out inflammation. You could try that as well. Take brown paper bag and soak it in acv. Hold onto her leg while sticking in more acv for 30 min. I did this myself with a third degree sprain at the advice of an elderly woman and I was walking after.

Update:
Within hours of soaking her leg for 20 min she was standing on her leg and wanting out. Took her to the barn and she was walking with slight limp. Highly recommend acv soaks.

Last edited:
I’m dealing with this right now. Couldn’t find my hen that always comes when I call her name. I found her sitting on hay looking like something was wrong but didn’t get up to greet me. When I sat down she hopped over and that’s when I realized it was her leg. I brought her in my house in a cage and gave her mash. Of course it’s a Saturday and no one open. I’m going to rest her today and see if she’s better in the morning. One of our goats broke his leg with a clean break a few years back and it was dangling. She’s not like that. She holds her foot up to body and can stand on the other leg fine. This same hen did what your hen is doing in pic once where it’s just barely off ground and she was fine next morning.

I see your little pouch of swelling. I may soak my hens leg in apple cider vinegar. It takes out inflammation. You could try that as well. Take brown paper bag and soak it in acv. Hold onto her leg while sticking in more acv for 30 min. I did this myself with a third degree sprain at the advice of an elderly woman and I was walking after.

Update:
Within hours of soaking her leg for 20 min she was standing on her leg and wanting out. Took her to the barn and she was walking with slight limp. Highly recommend acv soaks.
I’m so glad to hear that helped! I will try it with my hen tomorrow.

Sprains and strains are not uncommon, from landing wonky when jumping or getting a leg hung up somewhere. I will attach a splinting manual that explains how to examine for a fracture, I would not splint unless you are sure there is a fracture. Otherwise I would limit her activity by crating her in the run with the others, so they can still all see each other, that is less stressful. If needed you can use a chicken sling for periods to let her take the weight off and rest it, you need to supervise that, sometimes they freak out and try to get out and can injure themselves. Images below for examples. If needed, warm epsom salt soaks can help with pain and swelling, make sure she's completely dry after. Sprains and strains can sometimes take weeks to months to completely resolve, it's hard to predict. Once she can get around pretty normally, get on the roosts, not be at risk of being hurt by the others, then I'd let her back with the flock, even if there is a slight limp. Judgement call for you, based on how she's doing.
View attachment 3665580

View attachment 3665582
View attachment 3665584
View attachment 3665585
Yesterday I ran outside when I heard a commotion and witnessed one of my hens fly out of the woods and hit the side of the house (its close to the hill) She landed in a bed of leaves. I got a brief glimpse of what appeared to be a bob cat so I hurried and scooped her up before locking the rest up.I couldn't find any injuries or a breaks but she won't put any weight on one leg so I'm going to try soaking her leg and making a sling!Thanks for all the photo's and the pdf filles!Wishing you a happy thanksgiving!

I’m dealing with an issue just discovered with my 9 week old pullet.
I read all I could and the examined her. It took a few up close observations to figure it out.
I thought the problem was broken foot and splinted it. Seems this was only part of it.
Hoping she’d walk better than she did afterwards. Then noticed the 3rd toe hangs limp/ twisted and so she has no balance. I’ll make a chicken shoe tomorrow
I’ll post photos for reference. I hope the poor girl heals ok.
My only question is why does she also drag a wing? Am I dealing with more injury still? Or is it as a balance aid/crutch?
I have no idea what she did to cause all this!!

Hi there,
I am sorry I haven’t taken photos. I have strapped the leg break with a flat stick and also made a foot shoe for the broken toe.
But she seems in pain -She pants a lot. Still eating and drinking within reach. I don’t know if she’ll make iir? It’s evening here in Oz.

Without pictures, it's very hard to advise. Make sure your splint is padded so that it won't rub or irritate, and make sure to check regularly for swelling, you don't want it too tight and cutting off circulation. If she's in a lot of pain then periods in a sling can help keep her comfortable and let her rest it, examples below. You do need to supervise, some do well in slings, others may freak out and hurt themselves trying to get out.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

5d900e5646be3ce5eb1e6f1645a6ed14.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom