What is the egg squat?

Actually chickens stand when laying their eggs, if you watch patiently you will see the bird first lay in the nest, then just before laying stand up, and the egg drops out. Are you maybe thinking of the squat they do for the rooster?

O, that makes more sense then what I was thinking. Do they make a lot of sound afterwards. I've heard that they cluck a lot after laying an egg?

What does it look like? Is it sort of like a poop squat, except an egg pops out instead? Thanks!
Not the same.
The squat shows submission and/or acceptance to be mated.
They will put their bellies right down on the ground and spread their wings out a bit for stability to take the weight of the cockbird on their backs.
Even when there is no cock/erel around they may do it when a person approaches them...it is a sign of sexual maturity and that eggs are imminent.

Many hens sing an egg song after laying - once they have rested after laying the egg, they hop off the nest and squawk repeatedly and loudly. Sometimes louder than a rooster crows! Love to hear it though as it means another tasty egg.

That little hen is a bantam Ameraucana. They lay blue-colored eggs, very pretty. There are several breeds that lay blue or blue-green eggs. These were layed by my Cream Legbars, with a some brown eggs for comparison:

Back
Top Bottom