Very strange candling session! Different development SAME AGE

WeeNicole

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 5, 2013
Northern Ireland
Well I'm a little confused. Ok so last Wednesday I set 6 of my own ayam cemani and sulmtaler then bought in different lines to hatch so they're unrelated to mine so yes added more, ayam cemani eggs 6 sulmtaler eggs, both of which were shipped.

So candled them. Sulmtaler shipped eggs are totally clear... But the shipped ayam cemani eggs which were all put in at same time have different stages of development :/

In 2 of them the embryos are moving about (little black dot) as we all know.

Next 3 have veins and look like 2 days or 3 days younger than the other two :rolleyes:

I've the 48 auto incubator and I'd thought maybe the embryo ones where closer to the heat/fan...?

But the larger two was beside at least one other egg same row so how the hell is there such a big difference??

Any insight folks.. :)

I've observed that sometimes candling can be deceptive. The embryo can look different depending how it is positioned in the egg; whether it's moving around or at rest, or what side of the egg you're candling from. Also, could there be any possibility the shipped eggs got too hot during shipping and began development? Eggs stored for incubating should never be stored above 80 degrees F.
You could have hot/cold spots in the incubator. Try setting several different, calibrated thermometers in different parts of the incubator to troubleshoot.

I've observed that sometimes candling can be deceptive. The embryo can look different depending how it is positioned in the egg; whether it's moving around or at rest, or what side of the egg you're candling from. Also, could there be any possibility the shipped eggs got too hot during shipping and began development? Eggs stored for incubating should never be stored above 80 degrees F.
You could have hot/cold spots in the incubator. Try setting several different, calibrated thermometers in different parts of the incubator to troubleshoot.
YUP!!!!

That's you beet and seet.. Well I did go round the whole incubator with temp gauge which was all ok as I thought.

Your statement however on the shipped eggs getting hot SPOT ON I think, I'm in Northern Ireland so our weathers up and down. When these particular eggs was shipped we were having a mini heat wave.!

So more than likely that's the answer, I'm candling my sulmtalers today so I'll give the ayam cemani another check as I did move the eggs a tray row back incase the fan/heat was blowing more on them.

But deff I'd say they developed whilst shipping, I never even thought of that.

The confusion now is, leave the eggs developing together or should I move the ones that look older to another incubator for lockdown?

Leave them... another thing is that shipped eggs tend to develop slower and/or oddly compared to your own or local eggs... I've done loads of shipped eggs and have seen quite a range of oddities... I also don't think we know exactly what kinds of damages can be done within the yolk and albumen itself, beyond air cell damages... I'd just keep them all together and continue on with the set...

Thought that as no matter what they're all set on same day same time.

I've a black Japanese, few sulmtaler bantams and cemani to go into lockdown two three days before the rest as the shipped sulmtaler and ayam were late/delayed by time they got here.

So far 5/6 cemani shipped alive. But the SHIPPED sulmtalers are completely empty. No air sac nothing :/

I incubate my own usually this is a first for posted eggs, I'm not convinced I'd do it again in all honesty but hey was worth a try eh. But thank goodness if these hatch that'll be my different lines so won't need to post again :p

Thank yous.

I hatch shipped quail eggs and have seen what appears to be different rates of growth at ten days of incubation in a batch of ~120 eggs. Left alone for the rest of incubation they all seem to catch up and most hatch just fine. Shipped eggs definitely incubate differently than fresh, local eggs.

Back
Top Bottom