week old chicks dying one by one

mandarin1

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have week old copper marans that I bought the eggs locally and hatched myself. No complications during hatching, all acting healthy, I keep the brooder clean, clean food and water in constant supply, and at a week old now they have been dying one a day for the past few days, what could this be from? I put a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder just to make sure my temperature was correct even though they were acting fine and it is in the ideal temperature range. The only thing I can think of would be if there is something wrong with the parent birds that laid the eggs and if so, how do you tell and what do you do about it? I just don't want to lose anymore, I started with 11 and I'm down to 7 now. Please help!

They act normal as far as I know, I haven't been able to see one when it actually dies, I just find them shortly after when checking on them. They have all been eating and drinking normally, normal poo, nothing out of the ordinary, that's why this is so confusing. I've put electrolytes in their water as well, but I wouldn't think this would have any ill effect. I put the electrolytes in after the first one died and haven't seen any difference in behavior. I'm completely at a loss here on what to do. Maybe switch to medicated food? They don't have any blood in their stool, so I don't think it's coccidiosis.

Treat for cocci anyway, even if you don't see blood. It doesn't have to get that far, causing intestinal bleeding for cocci to kill a brand new chick.

The treatment won't hurt them even if they don't have cocci.

Also, if you can have a necropsy done on a recently deceased chick, it will immediately tell you what killed it and then you will know what to do to save the rest. Call your local agricultural extension office for information or your vet.

Thank you for the advice, I will immediately go to the feed store this morning to get medicated food and hopefully this helps, I can't bear to lose another one.

Okay, I just went and checked on them again and one has started opening it's mouth repeatedly like it's gasping for air and is occassionally stretching it's neck and shaking it's head. It literally just started doing this, any ideas what it could be and what to do?

Follow the directions on the label for "treatment". There are other instructions for "preventative". Make sure you mix according to the correct directions for treatment, as the other won't do anything to cure cocci.

Back
Top Bottom