turkey hen - egg yolk peritonitis - cull or cure?

Dragon Lady

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
3 year old Rachel (narrigansett hen) has a swollen abdomen. Lost her appetite but acting normal. Wings are droopy and she is very quiet compared to her usual vocal self.
At first I thought she was egg bound but 2 baths later and no egg and her swelling got quite bad.
I noticed her legs had changed colour at the beginning of the month, I suspect that was my first clue and I missed it :-/ the peritonitis is likely pushing on her heart causing the colour change in her circulation.
She lost a lot of weight this month.

I read up on here and started giving her Tetracycline plus giving her a few drops of mineral oil in water twice each day. I took a gamble and gave her an enema with a syringe of mineral oil as well.

So far she is looking brighter, and more active.

I just watched a youtube video necropsy of the yuck that came out of a chicken with the same problem.....

Can I cure my Rachel???

Have you posted on the turkey forum as well? Poultry can all have reproductive problems, but tumors are very common as well. Ascites or fluid in the belly can make the lower abdon full and tight, and can be a result of heart failure, or liver failure or infection from egg peritonitis. Fluid can be drained at intervals to help ease breathing and pressure. These illnesses are not usually curable, unfortunately.

Have you posted on the turkey forum as well? Poultry can all have reproductive problems, but tumors are very common as well. Ascites or fluid in the belly can make the lower abdon full and tight, and can be a result of heart failure, or liver failure or infection from egg peritonitis. Fluid can be drained at intervals to help ease breathing and pressure. These illnesses are not usually curable, unfortunately.
Thankyou for your insights. I suspect she will not recover but as long as she still seems to be enjoying puttering around in the yard I won't give up on her.
I will post in the turkey thread as well.

Thankyou

With a reproductive problem, that is about all you can do, making them comfortable and not letting them suffer. If it looks like ascites, then you can drain the fluid occasionally with an 18 gauge needle inserted just beneath the skin, and let some leak out. Here is a little reading about that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/853726/ascites-in-desperate-need-of-some-help-and-guidance
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734283/ascites-hen-attempted-draining
Thanks Eggcessive, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between Ascites and EYP?

In the pictures of ascites in those links, the belly looks very tight and full like a drum. If you stick a needle into the belly of one with it, there should be yellow fluid that drips out, or is pulled out with a syringe. A vet or a farm vet may be of help. I have never had a bird with ascites, but there are many videos and pictures of it online.

Back
Top Bottom