internal laying? egg yolk peritonitis?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
She sits down for most of the day, if she isn’t sitting she is standing in one place. She is a big chicken, so I’m not sure if it’s her belly fat or something else, but she has a softish pouch on her abdomen that doesn’t seem to be getting bigger. Not hard or too squishy.

She has not started laying eggs again after winter ended. (she is about 3-4 years old)

No panting, no respiratory issues, comb is red, eyes are clear, poop is normal (but kind of small) normal appetite, drinks normally

Is this the buff Cochin that you have posted about before? Many hens over 2-3 years can suffer from salpingitis/internal laying, oviduct cancer, and fatty liver disease. It can be hard to know what she may have until you lose her one day when you can do a necropsy at home or have your state vet lab do one. A vet experienced with chickens may do an X-ray or labs to diagnose her, but there is no real treatment if she has one of those things. So, I would just let her live her life doing as she pleases, and keep watching her. Hopefully, she will start laying another season for you. I have had several who stopped laying at this age and still had good lives for several years.

Is this the buff Cochin that you have posted about before? Many hens over 2-3 years can suffer from salpingitis/internal laying, oviduct cancer, and fatty liver disease. It can be hard to know what she may have until you lose her one day when you can do a necropsy at home or have your state vet lab do one. A vet experienced with chickens may do an X-ray or labs to diagnose her, but there is no real treatment if she has one of those things. So, I would just let her live her life doing as she pleases, and keep watching her. Hopefully, she will start laying another season for you. I have had several who stopped laying at this age and still had good lives for several years.
Thank you! Yes, it’s my Buff Cochin. I really don’t know if it’s just that she is aging and is a fat hen, or if there is an underlying issue. I know that overweight hens sometimes dont lay. Hopefully she is ok!

Back
Top Bottom