? Egg yolk peritonitis. How to treat?

krobin

Hatching
Nov 16, 2023
Hi, my chicken (light sussex) has been laying soft shell and shell less eggs recently. She's the only one, others are laying normal eggs. Her back end is now very swollen. From what I've read it looks like egg yolk peritonitis. She's still eating well, she's active, just waddling a bit when she walks. Any recommendations on treatment? Thanks

17001898068384736997034046782733.jpg

Unfortunately, there is only supportive care available but no cure.
Perontitus, aka water belly, can be caused by reproductive issues, diet, liver issues and genetics.
Some people have controlled it with diuretics if caused by the liver, also draining the fluid off. But there's nor Ling term solution

Hi, my chicken (light sussex) has been laying soft shell and shell less eggs recently. She's the only one, others are laying normal eggs. Her back end is now very swollen. From what I've read it looks like egg yolk peritonitis. She's still eating well, she's active, just waddling a bit when she walks. Any recommendations on treatment? Thanks
If the abdomen if full of fluid, that's a Symptom called Ascites (A.K.A. Water Belly). Fluid (Ascites) can be from organ failure and also seen with reproductive disorders like Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Cancer, Tumors, etc.

Egg Yolk Peritonitis is when there's fibrous, yolk material or albumen like material that has a cooked appearance in the abdomen. This is when material like egg or albumen, often along with bacterial have traveled in reverse from the oviduct and into the abdominal cavity.
Determine if she's got fluid, if so, you can try draining it if she's in distress, but you mention she's active, eating/drinking, etc.

You could try a detox since she's doing o.k. right now and see if that helps with any of the bloat/swelling. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...le-to-move-now-laid-egg.1446105/post-24045478

For mine, in the past if they've had swelling like that, I would just monitor them, make them comfortable when they began to decline and put them down once they were no longer to bounce back with supportive care. The next hen that I have with similar symptoms, I'll try the detox and see if it makes a difference.

I recently had a hen with internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis. She wasn't swollen like this, and it was a pretty bad case (I had to cull her).

I agree that it looks like ascites, and this can be due to egg yolk peritonitis, but I don't think she'd be very active if she had that.

Anyway, I think that you should determine if there's fluid, maybe try the detox (I don't know much about this), and/or drain the fluid if you know how to do it/dare to do it with a tutorial/have a vet who can do it for you.

As far as I know, the color of the liquid should give you an idea of what's wrong with her.

Read this story: https://www.randyschickenblog.com/h...-recognizing-and-dealing-with-ascites-in-hens

EYP is a very serious progressed or i say advance stage of ECOLI infection .
its life threatening only way to save a life is by stopping the hormonal activity that discard egg laying process EYP is hard to treat people opt for surgical treatments but it’s very risky
antibiotics like Baytril can be helpful

Back
Top Bottom