3 1/2 year old hen laid two shell less eggs in one week!

socalchickens76

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
Our 3 1/2 year old Barred Rock has laid two shell less eggs this week (no shell at all...just yolk). She's been acting and eating normally until she gets close to laying these shell less eggs. The day before and day of she starts to slow down and is very quiet (not like herself at all). Once she lays the shell less egg, she's pretty much back to normal. They have oyster shell available 24/7 and eat a layer feed (New Country Organics).

We started giving her extra calcium the other day. What could be causing this? Could it be egg yolk peritonitis?

Thanks.

I'd continue to give her Calcium citrate with d3 for at least a week.

Is there a membrane at all around the yolk or is yolk actually leaking from her vent?

At 3 1/2 she may be starting to have some reproductive problems or shell gland issues. Hard to know.
Do check her over for lice/mites, get a fecal float to see if worms are a problem.

Does her abdomen below the vent between her legs feel large/bloated or fluid filled?

I'd continue to give her Calcium citrate with d3 for at least a week.

Is there a membrane at all around the yolk or is yolk actually leaking from her vent?

At 3 1/2 she may be starting to have some reproductive problems or shell gland issues. Hard to know.
Do check her over for lice/mites, get a fecal float to see if worms are a problem.

Does her abdomen below the vent between her legs feel large/bloated or fluid filled?
We don't think it's leaking from her butt. And it literally looks like someone cracked an egg in the nesting box. Her abdomen doesn't seem any larger than normal.

How do we get a fecal float? Vet's office?

Hi!

I had "shell-less eggs problems" with several hens in the past...

These hens laid more and more shell-less eggs, and... I think the cause was genetic : they had no worms, nor lices, nor mites, nor diseases or whatever... and since all of them were hybrid chickens, and I am pretty sure they were coming from the same place, a genetic disorder just seems likely to me...

...An unlimited access to oystershell grit did not help.
Giving them liquid Calcium specifically made for poultry did not help...
Feeding them yogurts, eggs, cheeses, herbs, etc... did not help!

Nothing I tried helped then...

...At least, until I just decided to do an experiment with food grade Diatomaceous Earth.

Indeed : several months ago, I had decided to mix food grade DE with my chickens' food... (Primarily given the fact that DE is told to have Calcium and plenty of good things!)
And then : I was so satisfied with the results that all of my birds have now an unlimited access to food mixed with DE... everyday! And CLEARLY as a result : for all of these (several) months now, my hens have NEVER laid any shell-less egg anymore.
(Actually, all of my hens are now laying eggs with thicker eggshells, and some hens even lay, VERY often, double-yolked massive eggs...!)

(Knowing I only mix food grade DE with the pellets, wheat, and Premium Mix I put in PLASTIC feeders...
The metal feeders have not DE mixed in the food...!
Thus : my hens do NOT eat only, or have access only to food mixed with food grade Diatomaceous Earth.
)

...Voilà.
You do what you want to with this information!

Good luck with your hen.

Could be nothing to worry about...
Problem might even be temporary here and go away on its own...!

Do you give a lot of treats? I had 2 girls with the same issue a while back. Vet said cut out ALL treats. And that did the tric

Do you give a lot of treats? I had 2 girls with the same issue a while back. Vet said cut out ALL treats. And that did the trick!
No, I don't think so but they do get mealworms when we lure them back into their run after free ranging for a while outside.

Hi!

I had "shell-less eggs problems" with several hens in the past...

These hens laid more and more shell-less eggs, and... I think the cause was genetic : they had no worms, nor lices, nor mites, nor diseases or whatever... and since all of them were hybrid chickens, and I am pretty sure they were coming from the same place, a genetic disorder just seems likely to me...

...An unlimited access to oystershell grit did not help.
Giving them liquid Calcium specifically made for poultry did not help...
Feeding them yogurts, eggs, cheeses, herbs, etc... did not help!

Nothing I tried helped then...

...At least, until I just decided to do an experiment with food grade Diatomaceous Earth.

Indeed : several months ago, I had decided to mix food grade DE with my chickens' food... (Primarily given the fact that DE is told to have Calcium and plenty of good things!)
And then : I was so satisfied with the results that all of my birds have now an unlimited access to food mixed with DE... everyday! And CLEARLY as a result : for all of these (several) months now, my hens have NEVER laid any shell-less egg anymore.
(Actually, all of my hens are now laying eggs with thicker eggshells, and some hens even lay, VERY often, double-yolked massive eggs...!)

(Knowing I only mix food grade DE with the pellets, wheat, and Premium Mix I put in PLASTIC feeders...
The metal feeders have not DE mixed in the food...!
Thus : my hens do NOT eat only, or have access only to food mixed with food grade Diatomaceous Earth.
)

...Voilà.
You do what you want to with this information!

Good luck with your hen.
Could be nothing to worry about...
Problem might even be temporary here and go away on its own...!
thanks! so sounds like you give them some food mixed with DE and some food without it mixed in? so you are giving them a variety? how much DE do you mix in?

Back
Top Bottom