Turkey/game feed to speed up egg production?

Mys Teri

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
Florida
I finally found a store that carries organic chicken feed only(!) an hour away. While I was there, a nice gentleman noticed what a chicken newbie I am, and started flooding me with chicken advice. The one thing he was most adamant about was that I should supplement my feed with turkey/game bird starter to make the birds mature faster so they will lay eggs sooner. He even went so far as to obtain (steal?) a sample for me. It sounds like BS to me, but I thought I'd at least ask some of you more seasoned chicken keepers. Will turkey feed help my chickens lay sooner?

I'm going to take the lack of response as "too stupid a question to waste time answering", and continue with my assumption that he was spouting total BS.

I'm a newbie too, but I think turkey food has higher protein in it,maybe not good for chickens. I think you should just let nature take it's course. Better to wait a week or two for eggs than to stress your chickens health. Depending on what breed chickens you have eggs will come at about 19 weeks. I had a White Leghorn start at 17 weeks. It's very exciting waiting for your first egg, and when you get it you feel like you won a prize. Good Luck!

Although I'm very eager to see their first eggs, I certainly don't want to do anything that might hurt them.
I wonder what color the eggs will be? (I have Easter Eggers)

It will not speed their rate of development, but starting them on layer feed before they are laying may slow down their development. In fact, layer feed may not be the best choice for your flock. It has barely enough protein in it to support egg production. If you feed a lot of treats, scraps, or scratch, or free range you'll be reducing their protein intake to the point where production can start to suffer. For the average backyard flock, a grower, all flock, or flock raiser type feed is a better choice. It will help birds produce through hot summers, reduce feather picking and egg eating issues, and will help molting birds get back into condition faster.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding turkey feed to chickens. The only difference is protein content, and it's not too high in protein to be a cause for concern. A lot of people with show birds prefer feeding game feed because it helps keep their birds in better condition.

I would not recommend feeding your laying hens a turkey diet. They may grow faster and get bigger than hens on a regular chicken diet, but this could be detrimental to overall egg production. For a chicken to be a long-term producer of eggs, she needs to develop her skeletal system at the proper rate. If she develops too quickly or too slowly, then this could lead to production/health issues at some point. By providing your hen the proper chicken starter diet, your hen will develop her body at the proper growth rate and will prepare her for a long and productive life of egg laying. I would recommend that you keep feeding your chickens as you are currently.

Thanks DrPatrickBiggs. I am keeping with starter/grower feed I have been using, and giving occasional mealworms. The chickens all seem happy and healthy :)

A breeder of English Orphington's feed there chicks turkey/game bird chick starter but they didn't say why they said that recommend feeding it to them because of how large they need to get

Back
Top Bottom