Paintrock, TN

Ginger

Betty

Louise

Minnie Pearl

Henrietta (the queen bee)

Mary Ann (the baby)

Thelma

Will edit post tomorrow with the last bird Thelma, she is camera shy lol!!
Had a little success story tonight with them, 4 mean girls would not let the other 3 on the roost and they have been sleeping on top of a couple dog crates we put in the coop. Tonight Cindy and I caught Minnie Pearl and put her on the roost with the 4 mean girls (Henrietta, Betty, Thelma and Louise), after a couple times of being bullied off the roost, she made her way back and and snuggled right up to Betty. A few minutes later, the baby, Marry Ann got on the roost right next to Minnie. She has never slept on the roost until now. We put Ginger up there too but she only lasted five minutes and flew down. Have to try again at bedtime tomorrow.

Walt and Cindy

Last edited:
So tonight I built kind of a temporary fenced in run, so I can let them run without us having to be following them around and keep them out of trouble. I used 2 50 ft rolls of vinyl coated 36" welded wire, used a few trees in my yard and a few plant stakes and a couple t posts to hold it up. They love it, and so do I. I can actually get other work done instead of babysitting them. Even the young hen ventured out for the first time. As I'm writing this I am watching them one by one heading back to the dog run and getting back on the roost. Only had one little setback. A large bird flew over earlier and Minnie Pearl and Betty freaked out flew over the fence and hid under the deck. Luckily Daisy ( the mini Dauchund) leaped into action and promptly put them back in their run. Wish I could have captured that on video!! She was pretty proud of herself for herding the chicken!!

I'll try to get some tomorrow, it's getting dark now.

It was 95 hear today. Only got 2 eggs:( Usually get 5 or 6. Do you think that is cause for worry??

Hens don't always lay an egg per day, but I did see other members using frozen bottles of water and trays of water in their run to help cool their chickens down.

Back
Top Bottom