Finally got 2 more Cemani hens to companion with our scared girl

PoppasGrill

Songster
Sep 22, 2023
North Central Florida
We got 8 Cemani chicks about 6 months ago, turned out to be 6 cockerels and 2 pullets. Well 1 of the girls got got by a bobcat through the fencing, killed her but couldn’t get her out. So for about 4 months we’ve had the one pullet and 6 cockerels , we separated 5 of the boys to another coop, but the girl refused to get off the roosting bars and would only eat if we put feed up on a corner of the nesting box.
We got 2 hens last week in the hopes that she will get more comfortable to get down since now the girls out number the one boy in there.
3C0C10C8-A561-48FE-A10B-E0714672FDFC.jpeg
99FD6D3B-8320-4977-8F6B-00F697AED06F.jpeg

We got 8 Cemani chicks about 6 months ago, turned out to be 6 cockerels and 2 pullets. Well 1 of the girls got got by a bobcat through the fencing, killed her but couldn’t get her out. So for about 4 months we’ve had the one pullet and 6 cockerels , we separated 5 of the boys to another coop, but the girl refused to get off the roosting bars and would only eat if we put feed up on a corner of the nesting box.
We got 2 hens last week in the hopes that she will get more comfortable to get down since now the girls out number the one boy in there.
View attachment 3695637View attachment 3695638
How old are the new birds you bought? Poor gal is probably just over stressed.

How old are the new birds you bought? Poor gal is probably just over stressed.
We tried to put another hen, Orpington in with her, but she still wouldn’t get down from the bars.
They are close to the same size as Gladys, a coworker of mine brought them to me, as a package deal with 2 micro roosters that his brother wanted to get rid of.
I have 3 micro/ bantam hens and one roo already, so was worth taking the package deal. The Roos are only interested in the big girls so the micro hens are okay with them being here.

Back
Top Bottom