Cockell only flock fighting

Oct 13, 2023
Hi
So I hatched 12 brahma chickens last year and got 4 girls and 8 boys when they were babys they were all together but this January they started fighting so I seperated all but 2 of the boys
I read that if they can't see the hens then they won't fight only to find a pecking order at first
They are still fighting and one of them has an infection in his wattle (which we are treating)
I don't know who is the bully or if their is more then one bully but I know they are getting injured (not too badly though)
We have talked about rehoming some of them but they are brahmas (meat birds) and I don't want them just to end up on someone's table
But I can't have them kill each other if this keeps going
Should I give them a bigger space would that help?
Any help appreciated thank you

How much space do they have now? Yes, more space might help.

If they have a big open space, sometimes it helps to put something in the space so they can go around and behind and not see each other all the time.
Example:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
They have a 35 foot by 39 foot run (6 cockells) their is a bush/tree that they can hide under and a hole in the ground were a pond use to be (not deep they can get out of it) a few other baby trees and their house in the middle
I was wondering if I should give them another house so that if one of them is being bullied and not allowed in the house their is another place to go???
Thanks

They have a 35 foot by 39 foot run (6 cockells) their is a bush/tree that they can hide under and a hole in the ground were a pond use to be (not deep they can get out of it) a few other baby trees and their house in the middle
I was wondering if I should give them another house so that if one of them is being bullied and not allowed in the house their is another place to go???
Thanks
It sounds like that run should be big enough for the 6 of them. There is nothing wrong with adding more space, and there is a chance it might help-- but given how much they already have, I would not expect it to make a big difference, unless the space gets so big they can spread out and never have to see each other at all.

Yes, a second house might be a good idea.
Depending on where you put it, they can have the option of going inside it, or around behind it, or sitting on top of the roof, so that makes several more ways to get away from each other.

Sometimes it helps to give chickens something else to think about: a shovelful of compost to scratch through, or a bale of straw to pull apart, or a pile of dead leaves in the fall, or a pumpkin or cabbage to eat, or something like that. I don't know if this would make any difference in your situation or not, because yours seem to already have a pretty good set of options.

I read that if they can't see the hens then they won't fight only to find a pecking order at first
They are still fighting and one of them has an infection in his wattle (which we are treating)
I don't know who is the bully or if their is more then one bully but I know they are getting injured (not too badly though)
Some people talk about the pecking order as if it gets settled once and then stays the same forever.

But for chickens, the pecking order has an effect on almost everything they do, even as simple as walking past each other: the lower one leaves plenty of personal space for the higher one (tiny coops make things worse, because it is impossible for the lower ones to stay far enough away: that's one reason I asked how much space you had.)

Sometimes a chicken will be a bully and pick on the lower ones, but other times the lower ones are testing to see what they can get away with and of course the higher one pecks them in response.

I've never been sure if the "not seeing hens" thing makes a difference or not. I've had a group of cockerels in a pen with hens in the adjacent pen (wire mesh between them), and the males were fine. And I've read of cases like yours where the males cannot see the hens but fight a bit anyway. (I do not think seeing the hens would help, just not sure it would hurt either.)

If they are not getting badly injured, the situation may be as good as it gets. Unfortunately I can't say whether it will get better or worse as time goes on. Changing seasons and more maturity can change things either way.

We have talked about rehoming some of them but they are brahmas (meat birds) and I don't want them just to end up on someone's table
But I can't have them kill each other if this keeps going
Yes, definitely pay attention to see if it gets worse.

I agree that if you do not want them eaten, rehoming could be difficult.

It sounds like that run should be big enough for the 6 of them. There is nothing wrong with adding more space, and there is a chance it might help-- but given how much they already have, I would not expect it to make a big difference, unless the space gets so big they can spread out and never have to see each other at all.

Yes, a second house might be a good idea.
Depending on where you put it, they can have the option of going inside it, or around behind it, or sitting on top of the roof, so that makes several more ways to get away from each other.

Sometimes it helps to give chickens something else to think about: a shovelful of compost to scratch through, or a bale of straw to pull apart, or a pile of dead leaves in the fall, or a pumpkin or cabbage to eat, or something like that. I don't know if this would make any difference in your situation or not, because yours seem to already have a pretty good set of options.

Some people talk about the pecking order as if it gets settled once and then stays the same forever.

But for chickens, the pecking order has an effect on almost everything they do, even as simple as walking past each other: the lower one leaves plenty of personal space for the higher one (tiny coops make things worse, because it is impossible for the lower ones to stay far enough away: that's one reason I asked how much space you had.)

Sometimes a chicken will be a bully and pick on the lower ones, but other times the lower ones are testing to see what they can get away with and of course the higher one pecks them in response.

I've never been sure if the "not seeing hens" thing makes a difference or not. I've had a group of cockerels in a pen with hens in the adjacent pen (wire mesh between them), and the males were fine. And I've read of cases like yours where the males cannot see the hens but fight a bit anyway. (I do not think seeing the hens would help, just not sure it would hurt either.)

If they are not getting badly injured, the situation may be as good as it gets. Unfortunately I can't say whether it will get better or worse as time goes on. Changing seasons and more maturity can change things either way.

Yes, definitely pay attention to see if it gets worse.

I agree that if you do not want them eaten, rehoming could be difficult.
thank you for all your help
i will try the clutered run idea and will give them another house or place to get out of the weather

Put an older cock bird in with them. He will keep them in line. I usually keep at least one past breeding prime cock specifically for this purpose. Brahmas generally don’t fight too much, too big too much effort.

Edit: they’re also delicious.

Put an older cock bird in with them. He will keep them in line. I usually keep at least one past breeding prime cock specifically for this purpose. Brahmas generally don’t fight too much, too big too much effort.
I don't have any other cocks to put with them all my other cocks are from their hatch but I could look for a male would that work??
Edit: they’re also delicious.
Maybe but I am vegan (except for eggs from are birds) and I like them to much

Thanks

I don't have any other cocks to put with them all my other cocks are from their hatch but I could look for a male would that work??

Maybe but I am vegan (except for eggs from are birds) and I like them to much

Thanks
I wouldn't get one just for that purpose. If it were me I'd just keep them out of line of sight from the hens and they will calm down. Hatchery Brahmas might be a bit more aggressive than pure Brahmas but they won't kill each other generally. Sounds like you have plenty of space for them, except you don't list the size of the house, only the run. If you have perches/roosts in there (many brahma breeders don't) make sure they are all the same level, otherwise they will scrap over the highest perch.

Back
Top Bottom