Rooster Only Flock

Pics
Most male animals in animal husbandry are casterated. Any animal after a severe injury will be off feed, will not be mobil, and generally eats less and often times loses weight.

Any animal, that jumps up, rapidly returns to active living, eating, drinking and moving with ease, has not been hurt by the procedure. They don't loose weight, they are active. Young males fit in this category.

Anesthetic is hard on birds.

I think I did say that it needs to be done, and if not, I am saying it now, it needs to be done before maturity. After that it is too late and pretty ineffective. Before maturity the gonads are smaller and there are less issues.

Mrs K

I appreciate your alternative viewpoint. Thank you for sharing.

I would like to suggest that while those “outcasts” are growing and developing in their own group (away from hens) they form brotherhoods and bonds with each other in the same way that any other flock creature does. They establish their own “top rooster” and it is that male that challenges the head of the brood. The rest of the males are surviving in the company of other males that they bond with.

It isn’t unusual for animals of other flock varieties to form social groups outside of the main group and remain quite content not being “on top”. Understandably, they would compete for an opportunity to have their own flock, but if any awareness of the availability of hens is out of their perception, there would be nothing to compete over except flock position (which has been clearly established now). I believe my error was not having a visual barrier to the pasture where the females were. Which instantly added “something to fight for” on the first sunny afternoon of the year when the girls wandered too far. I have temporarily remedied that problem and have a permanent solution on order.

We do have to recognize and appreciate the uniqueness of this situation, based on my observation of the two boys in question (even after this fight), they seem happier together than they do apart and enjoy one another’s company. I’m a registered veterinary technician and have worked in the veterinary world for over 11 years. I’ve personally humanely euthanized thousands of all kinds of creatures. Certainly there is a time and a place for that. But we also owe it to them to read their own body language and determine the individual quality of life. When I see the boys snuggled up together at bed time or feeding each other treats back and forth or dust bathing together or simply enjoying each others company, I find it hard to base my end of life decisions on “ancestors” habits. They have some of their ancestors traits, we can’t argue that. But they are individuals as well. Much in the way that I am similar to my mother, and my grandmother, but I am neither of them and what makes me happy is very different from what makes my mother or grandmother happy.

I feel I owe it to these boys to try to rectify the environmental influences and restore them to their level of harmony in their own way. Even if it is “unnatural”. If the fights continue and there is no hope for peace, then I would build more space and put them into individual flocks. But keep in mind, adding addition flock members increases the risk involved: more lives to care for, more vet bills, more chance of getting yet another rooster complicating things, more eggs to process and deal with, increased risk of disease. I believe it is more responsible for me to make things work with the flock I have first.

Again, I really do appreciate your insights. This is how we all learn from each other and why we ask for each other’s view points. Different perspectives can help us grow to appreciate the species and the unique needs they have.
Beautifully said. 💙💙👏

Back
Top Bottom