Chicken Nipple Waterer

lilymia

Hatching
Jun 19, 2016
Hello,
Just joined this website today, but I've been using it for some time to get ideas for our coop and raising chickens. We recently bought a nipple waterer for our chickens and have found it leaks when they drink from it. Our floor is concrete and we use shavings or straw for bedding and it creating a big mess from the water spreading in the bedding. Other than this issue, we love it. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way to manage it?

Thanks!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have never used nipple waterers before. I have thought about it though. Anyway, I am of no help!

Definitely follow the link to our Feeding and Watering your Flock that Yorkshire Coop has left for you. I am sure someone can help you there with this leakage.

Good luck and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

Hey, Welcome to BYC!!!!!!

I'm not sure about your's but my nipple waterers came with a small rubber O-ring.
You have to put it on the nipple when installing it to keep water from leaking.

Hope you figure it out,

MW

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to our community. There will always be some water that falls from the nipples - they are not necessarily leaking, its just that your chickens are not catching it all. I have some birds that were raised from day 1 using nipples and their technique is far superior to flock additions that had to learn how to use them as adults. Could you not put the water station outside the coop?

All the best
CT

In my experience, vertical nipples will leak quite a bit, then it freezes and they leak a lot. Horizontal nipples have some spillage from the birds, but never seem to leak even in extreme heat or cold. And by spillage of the horizontal nips, a drop or two, which are typically snatched up by the one using the nipple.

Good luck.

In my experience, vertical nipples will leak quite a bit, then it freezes and they leak a lot. Horizontal nipples have some spillage from the birds, but never seem to leak even in extreme heat or cold. And by spillage of the horizontal nips, a drop or two, which are typically snatched up by the one using the nipple.

Good luck.
OK, thanks.
Mine are the vertical ones but I am thinking of getting some horizontal ones to use in the winter.
Do they freeze up??

Back
Top Bottom