Waterer suggestions- Leaking water nipples

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
Bought the Rent a Coop water nipples that worked GREAT for a while. Then they started to leak. Discovered the holes we drilled in the 5 gallon bucket actually cracked - even though we used the recommended bit size. Get a new bucket, drill new holes, silicone the holes, add a rubber washer on the inside and a wingnut. Lasted maybe 3 weeks and they are leaking again. Any suggestions how to get these things not to leak? I don't want to keep experimenting.

I have been researching a lot of other waterers out there and the reviews are not good. People seem to have alot of issues with gravity waterers or the galvanized ones end up rusting. What other waterer options do you have for a large flock (3-5 gallon) that had been tried and tested over time to work well and not leak? Thanks in advance.

I live in Texas. I don't have a large flock.
I wouldn't want a waterer that could hold more than a days worth of water to begin with because I prefer to offer clean fresh water every day.
I don't remember the exact brand name of my waterer but I can tell you that I've been using it for over 6 years with no issues and it looks something like this:

I do not hang it.
Screenshot_20230810-074442.png

I have used the rent a coop nipples for a year & 1/2 for quail and several months now for chickens. The chickens peck hard and wear the holes in cheap 5 gal buckets. Teflon tape on the threads and silicone on the outside Finally held more than a couple weeks. Been going strong since May (Ish). If that eventually gives out I’m going to fermenter buckets.

I have (2) Premiere 1 Waterers - 3 gal each (they can be plugged in to prevent freezing in the winter - they have an internal thermostat that flips on when temps get below a certain point - and the cord can be removed/stored in summer). I REALLY like these waterers. I haven't dealt with leaking on the Premiere 1 brand, but I did have a Rent-a-Coop one that cracked/leaked pretty quickly after I bought it.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=141

I live in Texas. I don't have a large flock.
I wouldn't want a waterer that could hold more than a days worth of water to begin with because I prefer to offer clean fresh water every day.
I don't remember the exact brand name of my waterer but I can tell you that I've been using it for over 6 years with no issues and it looks something like this:

I do not hang it.
View attachment 3604895
I use a similar type made here. I do hang mine and find it works wonders for avoiding dirt getting in, even when my cockerel scratches up a storm right next to it.

I am thinking it is the bucket material is too fragile.
I have the Rent-a-Coop bucket with nipples - I was too dumb to realize that I could make it myself - and I think it is in its fifth year with no leak.
I had one hen (RIP Maggie) who treated the nipples like they were small animals that needed to be killed before she could drink (you could hear her beating the crap out of them from across the yard). She beat them up for nearly four of those years.
As the nipples are presumably the same it feels like you need a higher quality bucket.

I have (2) Premiere 1 Waterers - 3 gal each (they can be plugged in to prevent freezing in the winter - they have an internal thermostat that flips on when temps get below a certain point - and the cord can be removed/stored in summer). I REALLY like these waterers. I haven't dealt with leaking on the Premiere 1 brand, but I did have a Rent-a-Coop one that cracked/leaked pretty quickly after I bought it.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=141
I have been lusting after that waterer every time I go on the Premier1 site.
The one thing that always deters me is how can you see when the level of water is getting low? It looks like you wouldn’t be able to see a water level through the blue. Or can you?

Discovered the holes we drilled in the 5 gallon bucket actually cracked - even though we used the recommended bit size.
Likely the nipples were screwed in too far and stressed the plastic.
Horizontal nipples with the sharply angled threads?
It can be tricky to screw them in just far enough to form a seal between the hole edge and threads.

What other waterer options do you have for a large flock (3-5 gallon) that had been tried and tested over time to work well and not leak?
I made this 8-9 years ago and it's held up very well:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

I have been lusting after that waterer every time I go on the Premier1 site.
The one thing that always deters me is how can you see when the level of water is getting low? It looks like you wouldn’t be able to see a water level through the blue. Or can you?
Yeah, you really can't see the water level at all. I just check it regularly. I also sort of have a general idea of how long it takes my gals to go through it, so I know *about when it'll need filling.

Also, Premiere 1 now has a really cool hanging scale doo-dad that you can use with the waterer (if you hang it, I don't hang mine). It will tell you when it's full or empty without having to open the lid so often!

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/hanging-scale

Back
Top Bottom