Pale comb/wattle & lethargic

kimmahoney

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2016
One of my Buuf Orps has been sitting in the nesting box all day. At first, I thought she was trying to lay an egg. Then I thought she was just sitting on eggs. However, I noticed she had shoved all the eggs out the back door & onto the ground (I have a raised coop). This evening, she was still there! I noticed her comb & everything that is normally a vibrant red are now a pale red, almost pink color. We forced her out of the coop, thinking she just needed food & water. She was able to run around, but she didn't eat or drink & when I turned my back, she returned to her box. I think she has been sleeping there at night too instead of roosting.

Any advice?

Pick her up and take her out of the box, and see if she gets up with her tail feathers in an upside down V shape, and clucks all the way back to the nest. Note if her breast and belly feathers have been plucked out. She may be broody and have pushed the eggs out because they are bad. Place an egg in front of her and see if she rolls it under herself. I would probably place her in a cage with food and water, on an old towel for bedding, and keep an eye on her to make sure that she eats. Then you can break her if she is broody. Feed her a bit of chopped egg for some extra protein.

Back
Top Bottom