Pale winter comb? Frostbite?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
My golden comet has a decent sized single comb. I noticed that it's been much paler than the Australorps' combs now that the weather's cooled... mostly towards the back of the head. Today I saw the beginnings of frostbite on a couple tips.

I'm very confused. It's been between 15-40 degrees F. The coop is protected from wind, clean and dry, and usually registers a few points lower on humidity than OUTSIDE the coop. The run is winterized so there's no direct wind hitting them.

How on earth is she getting frostbite? Why would her comb be so pale? Is her body reducing circulation to it because it's so large?

Should egg she's in full-on egg laying mode.

I'll try to attach a photo tomorrow. Any help is much appreciated.

It would be helpful to see a clear picture from the side of the comb. Do her wattles look normal? You can see frostbite if it has been 15 degrees, especially if the comb has gotten damp with rain or snow. I don’t recommend putting vaseline or anything else on combs to prevent or treat frostbite. Mild frostbite can sometimes heal without any difference in appearance. if tips get bit and become black, they may become rounded off in time.

IMG_6106.jpeg

IMG_6103.jpeg

Her comb's actually redder than usual because of morning excitement. But you can see the back 3-4 points are losing color at the tips. I checked her for mites at the back of the neck, tail/lower back, and vent. All clear and fluffy.

Could be a very mild FB.
Your climate is almost sure to nip that comb over the winter.
FB is ugly but not the end of the world, it can take several months to fully heal.

Have had it here multiple times, even with good ventilation.
My best advice, leave hands off before and after.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

As for being pale, how old is she(in months) and is she laying?
If not laying pale combs are normal.

Last edited:
Could be a very mild FB.
Your climate is almost sure to nip that comb over the winter.
FB is ugly but not the end of the world, it can take several months to fully heal.

Have had it here multiple times, even with good ventilation.
My best advice, leave hands off before and after.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

As for being pale, how old is she(in months) and is she laying?
If not laying pale combs are normal.
Oh your poor guy! I just feel so bad. Winter's barely getting started. She's 6 ½ months old and has been laying daily since 20 weeks.

I have a hygrometer in their Omlet coop, and it always measures a few percentage points lower in humidity than the outdoors. We keep it pristine and dry with PDZ/hemp, and there's only 3 birds in it. It's also double wind protected being inside the winterized run. Would a real coop be that much better? I'm going to feel like absolute crap if the Omlet's contributing to it.

That looks very mild is it is frostbite on tips, and should not be a problem. A bigger wooden coop would be a good idea.
Hmmm, maybe I can slap something together to hold us over.

The weather hasn't helped. It can get in the 20's overnight with 70% humidity because it's going to rain. I'm guessing that once we're in the thick of winter and the humidity drops, it will be less of an issue.

Would a real coop be that much better?
It would be better, but won't necessarily prevent FB.
Tall coop with vents up high wood(haha) surely help.
Walk-in coop really nice during winter storms, or even the heavy rain I'm getting today.

Dry winter air can help, but when the temps drop during a thaw can nix that advantage.
FB can happen at just below 32°.

I built in good ventilation, use closed waterer, etc....
....and they all went out and wet their wattles while noshing on snow banks. SMH. :rolleyes:

Here's an updated photo with her pale comb. She looked good at 7am, but by noon it was losing color again.

IMG_6117.jpeg

Here she is next to Pepper, who is also laying (but has a full red comb).

IMG_6132.jpeg

And here she is next to Mushroom (not laying). You can see how pale the whole back third is.

Is it all frostbite related? Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom