Rooster has dark stripes on comb and wattles

My roo came out of the coop this morning with wide dark stripes through the middle of his comb and around the curves of his wattles. It doesn't appear to be frostbite. He has been unusually quiet today, and has spent the day on a roost in the run. He doesn't run at me, which is odd. I put Rooster Booster in their water this afternoon, and fed them some fruit. I have not put Vaseline on any of the chickens.

My coop is small, has a peaked roof, and it's covered with a quilt for insulation and plastic for wind- & waterproofing. Drafting is going to be minimal. They have cross ventilation at the roof peak. Their bedding is dry, so it's unlikely condensation dripped on him. Even so, I think it would have run down the ceiling and not dropped direcly on him, particularly in such a pattern. None of the hens seem to be affected.

The run is also protected from the wind. They have south sun, a heated waterer, and can go under the coop for more wind block.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm concerned it's circulatory. He's a pain in the rear, but I don't want to lose him. If it is frostbite, how does it go through the middle of the comb?

Thanks in advance.
Update?

Back
Top Bottom