Weston393

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2023
My Black Copper Marran has become lethargic; his comb is purple and bleeding in some areas. The temp has not gotten below 39 degrees Fahrenheit, so I am unsure if it is frostbite. It has always gone through stages where it would get a little bit of purple when he gets excited or stressed, but this time he seems injured. He normally Free Ranges and roosts behind my Sebright pen but since noticing his strange behavior (laying down all day and not moving) I have put him inside a coop away from the wind and cold. I am also worried that it might be a blood circulatory problem. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? PXL_20231215_145806999.MP[1].jpg

39 degrees F should not result in frostbite. Could he be dehydrated from being kept from food and water? I would offer fluids, electrolytes, sugar water, or even Gatorade. How old is he? Do you have other roosters? Has he been picked on?

39 degrees F should not result in frostbite. Could he be dehydrated from being kept from food and water? I would offer fluids, electrolytes, sugar water, or even Gatorade. How old is he? Do you have other roosters? Has he been picked on?
Sorry for the late response (computer problems) He ended up passing away Sunday. He was 8 months old. I was keeping track of his water and food intake and they were both normal but I still had an electrolyte additive in his water. I gave him an antibiotic and VetRx but It must have been too little too late.

& how is his breathing?
Sorry for the late response (computer problems) He ended up passing away Sunday. He was 8 months old. I was keeping track of his water and food intake and they were both normal but I still had an electrolyte additive in his water. I gave him an antibiotic and VetRx but It must have been too little too late. His breathing seems slow but steady, when compared to my other chickens who are lying down it is about the same.

Sorry for the late response (computer problems) He ended up passing away Sunday. He was 8 months old. I was keeping track of his water and food intake and they were both normal but I still had an electrolyte additive in his water. I gave him an antibiotic and VetRx but It must have been too little too late. His breathing seems slow but steady, when compared to my other chickens who are lying down it is about the same.
Everything I read was saying he was dying but I didn't want to lead with that without seeing if there were any other symptoms. I'm sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom