Frostbitten comb?

Thank you so much, I’m glad to know he’s not in pain. I think one of my hens has a bit of frostbite too, she has a particularly big floppy comb so I’m not surprised. I think in the future I’ll keep breeds with smaller combs instead since the weather where I live can stay below freezing for weeks in the winter. Anyway, should I continue to keep him inside until he heals/until it’s warmer?
His comb will always be that color from now on so i do not believe it is necessary

I was going to try Vaseline, but now that I have read this I am thinking it may do more harm than good. Both of my roosters have frostbite on their combs. And they are shaking their heads trying to relieve it somehow, so thinking it might be painful. Anything you can do after the frostbite is already there? It's supposed to be freezing for the foreseeable future, and I can't bring them inside...

Hello, this is my first winter keeping chickens and I’m pretty sure my cockerel (6mo Faverolles) has frostbite in his comb. Last week, I was pretty sick after getting my COVID vaccine booster, and I didn’t clean their coop as well as I should have. I left the air vent closed and didn’t clean up a water spill that froze in their coop. The next day I noticed a purple tinge on the last 3 spikes of my cockerel’s comb, and after a few days of watching him (and improving ventilation in the coop and removing the waterer at night) it only seemed to spread and on a particularly cold day he seemed lethargic. So I brought him into my house in a dog crate and have been applying Veterycin twice a day. The first day I brought him in, I applied a warm wet cloth to his comb, like most online guides say to do. I just want to know if I’m right about the frostbite, if I should call a vet and get him some pain meds, and if there’s anything else I should be doing. Also, any tips on how to keep a bored teenage cockerel occupied? I’ve been bringing one of his hens inside for the day to keep him company, but is there anything else? Thanks!

Picture below. His head is a bit grimy from dirt that got stuck to the petroleum jelly I was putting on him after I first noticed the frostbite and before I brought him inside. Seems it either didn’t help or was too late.
I’ve got a cockerel with the same issue! I put Hen Healer on it ??? 🤷🏼‍♀️ This is my first flock/first winter with them…

Attachments

• AF0EF78A-4E25-4B90-BBFB-55DFB4270B78.jpeg
    AF0EF78A-4E25-4B90-BBFB-55DFB4270B78.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello, this is my first winter keeping chickens and I’m pretty sure my cockerel (6mo Faverolles) has frostbite in his comb. Last week, I was pretty sick after getting my COVID vaccine booster, and I didn’t clean their coop as well as I should have. I left the air vent closed and didn’t clean up a water spill that froze in their coop. The next day I noticed a purple tinge on the last 3 spikes of my cockerel’s comb, and after a few days of watching him (and improving ventilation in the coop and removing the waterer at night) it only seemed to spread and on a particularly cold day he seemed lethargic. So I brought him into my house in a dog crate and have been applying Veterycin twice a day. The first day I brought him in, I applied a warm wet cloth to his comb, like most online guides say to do. I just want to know if I’m right about the frostbite, if I should call a vet and get him some pain meds, and if there’s anything else I should be doing. Also, any tips on how to keep a bored teenage cockerel occupied? I’ve been bringing one of his hens inside for the day to keep him company, but is there anything else? Thanks!

Picture below. His head is a bit grimy from dirt that got stuck to the petroleum jelly I was putting on him after I first noticed the frostbite and before I brought him inside. Seems it either didn’t help or was too late.
He looks better than my Salmon Faverolle Roo! I just posted a thread with an updated photo without the blue goo on…

Back
Top Bottom