Frostbite experiences

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I was hoping it would be possible to create a thread in which people could post about their experiences with frostbite in detail, explaining how their birds are kept, what measures they took to prevent/treat it, that sort of thing. I always learn a lot from detailed, first-hand accounts.

I experienced frostbite for the first time this year with Winger, my muscovy drake. Walked out one morning and his beautiful red knob had turned yellow.

1000012692.jpg

1000012685.jpg

My birds are kept in unheated hoop coops with a thick layer of shavings and straw. I take away access to pools in very cold temps and only give them buckets of water, set outside the door of the coop. We had several days of single digit/low teens temperatures, dipping down into the negatives at night, and everyone was doing fine, even my young ones that had hatched out late November. Then we had a sunshiney day in the upper 20s - the sun was enough to melt some things a bit, which always seems to be the danger zone for frostbite. Sure enough, that night temps went back down to the mid teens, and my boy was sporting his yellow knob come morning. It didn't seem to bother him in the slughtest, and the forecast showed only a couple more days of freezing temperatures, so I decided not to do anything at all. It's been a few days since then, and Winger is perfectly happy, enjoying his pools again and having long, romantic walks across the pasture with his favorite hen. His knob is still yellow; I'll update whenever that changes.

My chickens are in an uninsulated, well ventilated, metal shed. I tore down the south facing wall of it when I moved here, but in winters I put up plastic sheeting where the wall once was. I put pine shavings on their floor in winter, and straw in the run, and they spend the coldest days confused that I'm not opening the run to give them access to the world at large. I think a couple of my brown leghorns may have the mildest touch of frostbite on the toppest tip of their combs, but it also may be injuries from pecking, and they're acting so perfectly normal that I can't see any purpose in confirming one way or another. My leghorns are my only chickens with large, floppy combs - it's a feature I love, but try to avoid since I've moved away from a hot, hot, HOT climate.

My climate is pretty mild compared to a lot of others, and I'm wondering if that makes things better or worse for frostbite, since the freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw pattern we sometimes get here can wreak havoc. Or how much of an impact providing supplemental heat has on the occurrence of frostbite? I'd read somewhere about someone having issues with a large number of their ducks dealing with frostbite in winter, and came to find out they give them access to a hot tub all winter, which seems to me a perfect recipe for ensuring frostbite. I've also read varying first-person accounts of the effectiveness of Vaseline, and decided not to bother since there seems to be a pretty even split on opinions there. Overall, a very hands off approach has made the most sense to me, so that's what I've been trying to stick to.

1000012628.jpg

The guineas are always perfectly happy in their forced confinement during cold weather. I've read their helmets aren't subject to frostbite since they're made of bone. I haven't checked to verify, so feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

Last edited:
We have had temperatures down to -35 with -45 wind chills. One year a long time ago we had -60 wind chills. I've seen my fair share of frostbite. One cold year a rooster ended up with it on his leg. We culled him before it progressed too far. Most of my roosters get dubbed by nature. Hens sometimes lose comb points and unfortunately a few toes.

In my experiences when temperatures fall below -10 it can be hard to prevent frostbite in some. My shed is well ventilated. Bird can go in and out through an east or south facing door. I bed with hay in the window tear to get them away from the ground as much as possible.

I saw frostbite on one muscovy drake in all the years I've had them. It didn't bother him, and healed up fine. Mine have smaller carnacles. Combs and toes heal up fine too without intervention. I personally think it isn't good to mess with the tissue. It will blacken and eventually fall off on it's own.

We do not provide heat here. I don't think it would help, and it isn't worth the risks.

I now try to keep smaller combed birds. I do provide roosts that are 4 inches wide, but they choose to roost on boards where the 2 inches are up. I haven't seen any frostbite here in a few years beyond a few comb points. Winters have been more mild. My ducks will take baths up until it gets too cold.

I now try to keep smaller combed birds. I do provide roosts that are 4 inches wide, but they choose to roost on boards where the 2 inches are up. I haven't seen any frostbite here in a few years beyond a few comb points. Winters have been more mild. My ducks will take baths up until it gets too cold.

What do you deem "too cold" for baths, and do they not take them of their own accord, or do you take away their baths? I think mine would continue taking baths to the point of getting frozen into the tub if I was willing to lug that much water in the coldest weather.

What do you deem "too cold" for baths, and do they not take them of their own accord, or do you take away their baths? I think mine would continue taking baths to the point of getting frozen into the tub if I was willing to lug that much water in the coldest weather.
I've had them bathe up to -10 before I will sometimes remove it. They mostly seem to have the sense to just do the head dipping bath and not stand in the water. I've seen them with icicles hanging off their feathers. They are pretty winter hardy even though they are originally from a warm climate.

I use rubber buckets and rubber pans in the winter. Sometimes the bigger pan freezes solid and I put in a smaller one. By bigger I mean the ones that are out a foot and a half in diameter and about 6 inches deep. I would not provide ones that are bigger. The Drakes don't ever bathe, just the hens occasionally.

I had one drake who's carnacles looked similar to your male. I think it eventually shriveled up, but it was hard to tell.

Years ago one of my White Rock hens named Snowdrop lost the back of her comb to frost bite. It healed up fine but she looked pretty strange afterward. I don't know why it happened to her and not her sister. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DSC_2262.JPG

DSC_2800.jpg

I was hoping it would be possible to create a thread in which people could post about their experiences with frostbite in detail, explaining how their birds are kept, what measures they took to prevent/treat it, that sort of thing. I always learn a lot from detailed, first-hand accounts.

I experienced frostbite for the first time this year with Winger, my muscovy drake. Walked out one morning and his beautiful red knob had turned yellow.

View attachment 3734313

View attachment 3734314

My birds are kept in unheated hoop coops with a thick layer of shavings and straw. I take away access to pools in very cold temps and only give them buckets of water, set outside the door of the coop. We had several days of single digit/low teens temperatures, dipping down into the negatives at night, and everyone was doing fine, even my young ones that had hatched out late November. Then we had a sunshiney day in the upper 20s - the sun was enough to melt some things a bit, which always seems to be the danger zone for frostbite. Sure enough, that night temps went back down to the mid teens, and my boy was sporting his yellow knob come morning. It didn't seem to bother him in the slughtest, and the forecast showed only a couple more days of freezing temperatures, so I decided not to do anything at all. It's been a few days since then, and Winger is perfectly happy, enjoying his pools again and having long, romantic walks across the pasture with his favorite hen. His knob is still yellow; I'll update whenever that changes.

My chickens are in an uninsulated, well ventilated, metal shed. I tore down the south facing wall of it when I moved here, but in winters I put up plastic sheeting where the wall once was. I put pine shavings on their floor in winter, and straw in the run, and they spend the coldest days confused that I'm not opening the run to give them access to the world at large. I think a couple of my brown leghorns may have the mildest touch of frostbite on the toppest tip of their combs, but it also may be injuries from pecking, and they're acting so perfectly normal that I can't see any purpose in confirming one way or another. My leghorns are my only chickens with large, floppy combs - it's a feature I love, but try to avoid since I've moved away from a hot, hot, HOT climate.

My climate is pretty mild compared to a lot of others, and I'm wondering if that makes things better or worse for frostbite, since the freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw pattern we sometimes get here can wreak havoc. Or how much of an impact providing supplemental heat has on the occurrence of frostbite? I'd read somewhere about someone having issues with a large number of their ducks dealing with frostbite in winter, and came to find out they give them access to a hot tub all winter, which seems to me a perfect recipe for ensuring frostbite. I've also read varying first-person accounts of the effectiveness of Vaseline, and decided not to bother since there seems to be a pretty even split on opinions there. Overall, a very hands off approach has made the most sense to me, so that's what I've been trying to stick to.

View attachment 3733561
The guineas are always perfectly happy in their forced confinement during cold weather. I've read their helmets aren't subject to frostbite since they're made of bone. I haven't checked to verify, so feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131-182204.png
    Screenshot_20240131-182204.png
    545.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom