Dead chick

Chickens run

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 11, 2013
This morning when I went to check on my broody hen, I found some broken shell in her nest. I took it out, lifted her up, and found a dead chick under her. It still had a bit of the yolk that was not fully absorbed, so it still had a day or two to incubate. I thought the shell I had found was from the dead chick, but it turns out that another chick successfully hatched last night and that was its shell. The dead chick had a bit of dark shell still on it (the live chick was in a light shell), but I have not found the rest of the dark (dead chick) shell. It may still be under mama as I don't want to move her too much and disturb the four eggs she is still incubating, but what would pull a shell off of a chick that isn't ready to hatch yet, and leave the chick there? I'm wondering if it just got stepped on during the hatching process? That would be better than a snake.
hmm.png

Might have just gotten stepped on... I've seen many broodys eat some of the shells as the chicks hatch too...

I know for sure our broody ate all but 1/2 of one shell of the 5 that did ultimately hatch. When she got up off the nest for the first time with the chicks- the only thing left behind were the 3 undisturbed eggs that didn't hatch and that one 1/2 shell.

Maybe she got a little excited about the first one to hatch? Sorry for your lost little one.

Back
Top Bottom