Still no eggs!

tillyschick

Chirping
Feb 20, 2016
My 4 chickens range in age from 20-22 weeks. My red sex link has been showing signs of laying for a few weeks. Just recently one of of buffs has gotten a nice dark comb and waffle. She is also doing the chicken squat sometimes so I think she might be getting close. The other 2 still aren't ready. But I'm really surprised my sex link hasn't! Could I be doing something wrong with them? I let them free range some at night but I stay with them and check the places they go. No eggs :/

I'm in your same boat. My red sex link has been showing signs for awhile too!!! I'm starting to think she's broken, lol. I've looked for her stash of eggs everywhere and locked her in the run to see if she'd lay and of course, no eggs. Maybe we'll have to hang in there together! Makes me feel better that I'm not alone. Today she popped out of the bushes while I was weeding in the FRONT yard... Sneaky chicken, I don't know how she got there... but doesn't that look like a guilty face to you?

So I go out this morning and find a tiny egg! I couldn't believe it. I put golf balls in the nesting boxes and bam, egg!

So I go out this morning and find a tiny egg! I couldn't believe it. I put golf balls in the nesting boxes and bam, egg!

Congrats! I thought mine was laying today. She sat in the lay box (mine have golf balls too) for a long time and made a little nest and sang the egg song but no egg. I have her confined to the run for a few days to see what happens. Should be any day now!

The Wattles and comb turn bright cherry red when they are fertile. If you see this they are going to lay an egg in about 24 hours. If you look at them over the length of the day - you will see the color change and that is a good indicator. It grows more dull after and they lay the egg. It's sort of like waving a flag to the rooster to let him know she is ready. Sometimes they squat near you too.

Caroline

The Wattles and comb turn bright cherry red when they are fertile.  If you see this they are going to lay an egg in about 24 hours.  If you look at them over the length of the day - you will see the color change and that is a good indicator.  It grows more dull  after and they lay the egg.  It's sort of like waving a flag to the rooster to let him know she is ready.  Sometimes they squat near you too.  

Caroline

Oh my, this makes so much sense. so I noticed about 2 weeks ago her comb and wattles turned BRIGHT. She's been squatting too and singing the egg song but no egg. Well recently I've started to notice her comb has been fading and it really confused me. Maybe it's because she has been laying and I just haven't found them. Like I said, I have her locked up in the run/coop to see if she'll lay for me.

The first photo is from 2 weeks ago, the second photo is from yesterday.

I finally got eggs from some hens I bought a few weeks ago. I was starting to wonder if j had made a bad purchase.

Back
Top Bottom