I'm 4 weeks in with 4 chicks in Jacksonville, FL

LisaLy

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Hi! I'm Lisa and still learning how to navigate this site and forum! Long story short, I picked up my 4 chicks on June 2, 2016, a Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Ameraucana (all 5 weeks old), and Light Brahma (6 weeks old). They have the been the sweetest hens and I raised them in the home until tonight! I'm already a nervous wreck and now I rely on my new found family here on BYC to help me get through these sleepless nights.

I have a double layer of protection (I hope it works). I chicken wired all the gaps to the kennel where I put the coop in this evening before it got dark. My heart was breaking when it got dark and the girls started to cry and huddle in a corner on bottom of coop (is this normal)?....I felt they were exposed so I just went out to set the large tote that they slept in at night when they were in the house. I hope they can remember where to go where they'll feel safe at night. I'm not going to be able to sleep!

I'm now catching up with pics - from pick up at the feed store, name day, figuring out where they will sleep, keeping them comfortable, feeding, first selfies, first day out doors, run/coop in the making and first night outdoors! I'll add more pics of timeline to an album for sharing! Please send me pointers, do's and don'ts!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! They are adorable and I love your coop! Thank you for sharing.

I know well that first night worries about the little ones. Good news is after the first night they are usually o.k. and after the second they are much happier being in the coop after dark. It is hard though, to ignore those frantic calls for mom when it gets dark and they realise they are not in their usual home! Best of luck and hope everything will go smoothly after this transition.

welcome-byc.gif
Yep, the chicks seem terrified out in the coop at first, but they should be fine. It's just such a big adjustment, and even if it does seem cruel to let them "cry it out", they will be completely fine the next morning. Glad you joined us, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hi :welcome Lisa

Glad you could join us here! I've really enjoyed reading your intro and your pics are fantastic! Sumi has left you some great advice on them getting outside, I'm sure they will be fine and try not to worry too much.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC! I have a pair of now 6 wk old chicks and put them outside in their coop/run about 2 weeks ago. They are happy until it begins to get dark and they cry for me, since they imprinted on me. I have been going in the run at sunset to hang out with them for 15 min or so and they like to hop up on my lap and shoulders, get petted etc. After about a week, they began to hop down and go inside all by themselves! They still like me to hang out with them, which is fine with me. They are growing up fast....I am pleased at each milestone they pass, such as going in out of the rain by themselves, etc. Good luck with yours, it will be fine!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I'm new also to the site and so far I'm very much enjoying it, I hope you will as well.

Your chicks and coop are beautiful, and 4 is a manageable sized flock! I started with just a few, and that turned into 21 chickens and 2 ducks very quickly. I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as the rest of us do, it's a great way to get out of the 21st century rush-rush mentality and definitely teaches patience.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! You guys are right, the 2nd night they knew exactly what to do. I put a cam up yesterday so I can study their behavior and check on them periodically. I hope that doesn't sound crazy.....These girls are my first pets that I've owned by myself, growing up, we had a family puppies but I never got close to them. They were raised outdoors and I was never home much. This time it's different, I want them to be safe! If they weren't such pooping machines, I'd keep them locked up in my home forever!

Back
Top Bottom