We love our tiny chick, but she's not growing and has an issue or two - almost 3 weeks old.

Jancan

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Daisy is almost 3 weeks old and about 1/2 the size of her siblings. She has had a prolapsed vent/pasty butt since we brought her home from TS. We are providing daily care for that (washing butt, hydocortisone for a few days, etc.) but she is very tiny and today I've really noticed what I think is an enlarged crop area, and some bald spots on her shoulders. I am brand new at this, so not sure what's next. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_8567.jpg
    IMG_8567.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8556.jpg
    IMG_8556.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8562.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8563.jpg
    IMG_8563.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
What an adorable baby!

What do you feed them? Does she eat and drink with her siblings? Does she cry/loud-peep often or sleep most of the time?

If she's acting like the rest do, I would just monitor her as you are already doing. You can always give her a tiny boost with boiled eggs, or scrambled, or even some raw egg yolk, if you think she needs it. I do this if someone seems lethargic or a bit runty just to help them keep up with competitive or rambunctious siblings.

The crop is fine; it means she's eating well. The shoulder patches are normal as well and it's because she's outgrowing her down. She'll feather out but, between now and then, she'll look patchy and bedraggled.

She may be a bantam that got mixed in with standard sized chicks.
thank you so much. I feel better now, and maybe we need to just let her be for a while. Maybe she will grow into her "vent" size and it won't protrude : )). Of course, that is not scientifically based so don't take it as fact : )

Back
Top Bottom