In need of some mite suggestions/help!

Kmhv04

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
Somewhat URGENT as the replacement flock is set to arrive this weekend!

I discovered mites as I was demolishing parts of my coop (roost area) to make improvements before the new healthy flock arrived and now I am super concerned I won't be able to treat adequately before they get here. (*side note- I had been keeping my eyes out for mites, but was clearly looking in the wrong places as once I ripped off the roost, it was clear as day....MITES! Yuck!)

My coop has raw plywood sides and ceiling (sloped), dirt floor (cleaning out about 8-12 inches of the dirt to get most if the yucky out). I am in Canada, so I am not sure how that effects meds/chemicals/treatment options available. I do have a friend who is a vet and he may be able to order me products suggested.

My questions are -

#1- Does bleach do an adequate/proper job of killing the mites and do you advise using it (will it be toxic to chickens if not enough has gassed off by the time they get here this weekend/Monday?)

#2- Is tea tree oil effective against mites by either killing or repelling them? How to apply and any advice on tea tree oil uses and chickens. (*side note - I use tea tree in our laundry and shampoo to deter/repel ticks and lice....so far it's working).

#3- We kept 3 of our flock that were healthy and young and I need any and all suggestions for how to treat them. I will keep them segregated for as long as necessary too, but if the mites are not cleared, I won't be able to house them seperatly indefinitely. I would love to keep it as safe as possible as these hens provide eggs for us as well as for sale.

#4- Does Vinegar and Peroxide (applied seperatly) kill mites or mainly bacteria and germs etc? Would you recommend it dot use on raw plywood and how about dirt floor (wonderkng it there is any real effectiveness on dirt, after all it is dirt....)

#5- Do you recommend dusting your birds as an effective method of treatment and if so, what product? How easy/difficult would it be to treat 33 birds?

#6- Is there something like a "bug bomb" that I could use to treat the coop (at the moment it is very closed/sealed up). I'm remembering back to when I was a kid and my parents "bug bombed" (for fleas...lived in S.E. Alaska....lots of fleas!) the house while we stayed away for a day. Do these things even still exist and if so are they effective against mites and other crawlers I don't want?

I appreciate any help in this matter as I am stressing out quite a bit. We were getting our new flock as a sort of fresh start after our first flock which ended up being very old birds with issues (sold to us by a local woman just off loading ner problems onto us! Errrrrr!). Hoping for a clean slate after sanitizing as best I could, but now that mites are throwing a curve ball into the mix!

Thank you, thank you!

~M~

I would research life cycle of whatever you are dealing with so you ensure treatment is effective. My choice is Permectrin water based for spraying all surfaces of cleaned out coop. I use a dedicated gallon garden sprayer, about twelve bucks, and thoroughly wet surfaces. I have cleaned out a coop, sprayed, let dry and put birds back in same day. These were all adult birds and summertime. I like to do this four times a year, but most years fall before it turns cold and again first warm spring day.

My current and incoming birds I would either deworm with Quest Plus by mouth and/or Ivomec injectable applied a few drops on head, under wings and on legs. I would be about not bringing in more problems. Parasite resistance is too easy to buy with new purchases.

This is what I do and i am not a vet. This is what I would do for adult sized birds. Chick as are another thing all together.

There is a thread entitled "mites, mites, mites" that might be of help to you.

I'd use a mild bleach & water solution which shouldn't be a problem - just don't mix with an ammonia product and check to make sure it's not going to react with any spray or dust you may use to get rid of the mites. With mites you're looking at a 3x treatment regiment over the course of a couple of weeks. Cleaning / dusting now, then again in 7 days, and one more time 7 days later - due to the life cycle of the mites with eggs hatching.

If you dust, you have to be careful with the birds breathing in what you're using - that includes diatomaceous earth and a product with Permethrin. I'm not sure if you have a Tractor Supply Store there, but something like that would carry products for dusting. I've read postings where people use Sevin, but they no longer recommend using that directly on birds. There is a you-tube video to view where the woman puts the dusting product in a pillowcase and then puts in the bird while leaving it's head out. Looked like a good idea, but I haven't tried it.

I don't know the answer to your question about tea tree oil. I'm not sure how safe some of the oils are for birds and they might be a good preventative, but they won't take care of the problem you have now.

I don't think the bug bomb would work since the mites would just crawl in cracks to get away. Probably the direct spray in cracks and crevices as mentioned above would be a better option. Just check on the interaction of the spray with bleach if you end up using that. You don't want to create a toxic situation.

We once used a bug bomb for fleas in a house where our renters had a cat and then left - we actually used several of them and they didn't work. I finally had to have an exterminator come in and it took him 2 times to get rid of the problem. Once there's an infestation, your into a whole different protocol for dealing with the problem.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

I would research life cycle of whatever you are dealing with so you ensure treatment is effective. My choice is Permectrin water based for spraying all surfaces of cleaned out coop. I use a dedicated gallon garden sprayer, about twelve bucks, and thoroughly wet surfaces. I have cleaned out a coop, sprayed, let dry and put birds back in same day. These were all adult birds and summertime. I like to do this four times a year, but most years fall before it turns cold and again first warm spring day.

My current and incoming birds I would either deworm with Quest Plus by mouth and/or Ivomec injectable applied a few drops on head, under wings and on legs. I would be about not bringing in more problems. Parasite resistance is too easy to buy with new purchases.

This is what I do and i am not a vet. This is what I would do for adult sized birds. Chick as are another thing all together.

Thank you for your info!

I have a question regarding the dewormer and ivermectin. Is there an egg withdrawal (when you can eat the eggs) time?

I got something to treat the 3 remaining hens/rooster called "Dusting Powder" from the feed store and it says it has 5% w/w Carbaryl in it. Not familiar with it, but was recommended by other local chicken keepers. I will be doing my research in this product and how to apply it to the chickens.....here I come YouTube....ha-ha!

Also bought a bug bomb thing which I will be using after I finish the rest of the clean out. I will seal the whole thing and set it off! Hoping it will do a half decent job of things.

There is a thread entitled "mites, mites, mites" that might be of help to you. 

I'd use a mild bleach & water solution which shouldn't be a problem - just don't mix with an ammonia product and check to make sure it's not going to react with any spray or dust you may use to get rid of the mites.  With mites you're looking at a 3x treatment regiment over the course of a couple of weeks.  Cleaning / dusting now, then again in 7 days, and one more time 7 days later - due to the life cycle of the mites with eggs hatching. 

If you dust, you have to be careful with the birds breathing in what you're using - that includes diatomaceous earth and a product with Permethrin. I'm not sure if you have a Tractor Supply Store there, but something like that would carry products for dusting.  I've read postings where people use Sevin, but they no longer recommend using that directly on birds.  There is a you-tube video to view  where the woman puts the dusting product in a pillowcase and then puts in the bird while leaving it's head out.  Looked like a good idea, but I haven't tried it.

I don't know the answer to your question about tea tree oil.  I'm not sure how safe some of the oils are for birds and they might be a good preventative, but they won't take care of the problem you have now.  

I don't think the bug bomb would work since the mites would just crawl in cracks to get away.  Probably the direct spray in cracks and crevices as mentioned above would be a better option.  Just check on the interaction of the spray with bleach if you end up using that.  You don't want to create a toxic situation. 

We once used a bug bomb for fleas in a house where our renters had a cat and then left - we actually used several of them and they didn't work.  I finally had to have an exterminator come in and it took him 2 times to get rid of the problem.  Once there's an infestation, your into a whole different protocol for dealing with the problem.  

Good luck and let us know how things go.   

Thank you GlennLee as well! I appreciate all the info! I will have to see how it goes with the dusting powder and thr bug bomb. Hoping it works out better than your experience.

One question as a follow up to my previous questions - Anybody have experience using hydrated lime?

I haven't had any experience with hydrated lime. Is that the same as agricultural lime? I've read about using that under the bedding to make things smell better. I did sprinkle some diatomaceous earth on my coop floor and brushed it in - same with the perches and also raked it into the dirt in the run - btw I have 17 guinea fowl - 16 keets (two months old) and 1 adult. I was thinking about getting a product used for horse stalls just to keep things smelling fresher - it's called PDZ horse stall freshner.

Let me know if you end up using the lime and how it goes. Good luck with it all! So far, we haven't had to deal with mites and I'm trying to be as proactive as possible. I thought we had them, but it's more like an Adirondack black fly - I think that's better in long run than mites, but still very annoying to the birds and they bite too.

I'll be thinking of you!

I haven't had any experience with hydrated lime.  Is that the same as agricultural lime?  I've read about using that under the bedding to make things smell better.  I did sprinkle some diatomaceous earth on my coop floor and brushed it in - same with the perches and also raked it into the dirt in the run - btw I have 17 guinea fowl - 16 keets (two months old) and 1 adult.  I was thinking about getting a product used for horse stalls just to keep things smelling fresher - it's called PDZ horse stall freshner. 

Let me know if you end up using the lime and how it goes.  Good luck with it all!  So far, we haven't had to deal with mites and I'm trying to be as proactive as possible.  I thought we had them, but it's more like an Adirondack black fly - I think that's better in long run than mites, but still very annoying to the birds and they bite too. 

I'll be thinking of you!

Thank you for getting back to me! Not sure on the hydrated lime, it came from the feed store in a 50lb bag and was recommended to me. I will be doing my research tonight and I'll try getting back to you with my experience and how I end up applying/using it in my coop and run.

Have you used any of the ivermectin on your chickens? If so, is there a egg withdrawal that you know of? People keep mentioning it, but not sure what is what when they call it injectable ivermectin as I don't know if it comes in different strengths etc.

I'm looking through the other posts titled "mites, mites, mites" and at least 3 other threads are titled that, so plenty of reading! Tha ks for mentioning it!

~M~

Hydrated lime, quick lime, slaked lime, and pickling lime are all same thing. They are caustic and will burn tissues/eyes. I would avoid as there are now better things to use.

Agricultural lime is nothing more than ground limestone rock. When zinc was worth mining the sand like ground limestone was a by product of refining zinc. You can use it like sand for bedding. If you do and then use manure do not use it around acid loving plants like rhododendron, azalea, blueberries as it will decrease acidity and kill.

Sweet PDZ is natural volcanic product that works to lock up nitrogen, decreasing amonia smell. It will over time release nitrigen when composted. Great for cat litter box. If you use in coop, go get a big bag. It comes in either sand or pellet. I like sand type best.

Thank you for getting back to me! Not sure on the hydrated lime, it came from the feed store in a 50lb bag and was recommended to me. I will be doing my research tonight and I'll try getting back to you with my experience and how I end up applying/using it in my coop and run.

Have you used any of the ivermectin on your chickens? If so, is there a egg withdrawal that you know of? People keep mentioning it, but not sure what is what when they call it injectable ivermectin as I don't know if it comes in different strengths etc.

I'm looking through the other posts titled "mites, mites, mites" and at least 3 other threads are titled that, so plenty of reading! Tha ks for mentioning it!

~M~

Have not used ivermectin - I know the dosage is key as overdosing can be fatal. I think there is a waiting period before eating eggs again.

Have not used ivermectin - I know the dosage is key as overdosing can be fatal.  I think there is a waiting period before eating eggs again.  

GlenLee - Okay, I will look into it further. Thank you for the info nkne the less! :)

Ivermectin kills roundworm, also kills mites.

Turtlebird2 - Do you have any info on wether or not there are different types/strengths of ivermectin and it's dosages? Thank you for your input as well!

Hydrated lime, quick lime, slaked lime, and pickling lime are all same thing. They are caustic and will burn tissues/eyes. I would avoid as there are now better things to use.

Agricultural lime is nothing more than ground limestone rock. When zinc was worth mining the sand like ground limestone was a by product of refining zinc. You can use it like sand for bedding. If you do and then use manure do not use it around acid loving plants like rhododendron, azalea, blueberries as it will decrease acidity and kill.

Sweet PDZ is natural volcanic product that works to lock up nitrogen, decreasing amonia smell. It will over time release nitrigen when composted. Great for cat litter box. If you use in coop, go get a big bag. It comes in either sand or pellet. I like sand type best.

Donna - Have you used the hydrated lime as a white wash? That was one way they suggested it used. Where do you find Sweet PDZ? Thank you for your info too! I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom