Your experiences with Elector PSP

Lelilamom

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
I am interested in hearing your experiences with Elector PSP. I wanted to share my experience and hopefully others will chime in and help those who come along in the future.
We are in week 3 of battling Northern Fowl Mites. I have been dusting with Garden and Poultry Dust (Permethrin) every third day, cleaning the coop of all bedding and dirt, coating the floor, poop boards, etc with Permethrin dust and DE and mixing both into their sand boxes. As of this morning, two girls still had mites. I had ordered Elector PSP in the hopes that it would come today and it did.
1. I noticed that the elector separates from the water after a few minutes so shaking (as suggested in the instructions) is important.
2. I bought a cheap spray bottle from Walmart. The sprayer broke after 8 birds. I had 41 more to go so I found an empty sprayer I had used for vinegar, washed it out and used that. First lesson: get a good spray bottle.
3. As soon as I started spraying birds, I realized why some folks decide to dip their birds. The liquid ran off the birds and into a puddle on the floor. I had to put the nozzle right to their skin on fine spray mode and, holding them upside down, spray quickly and rub the liquid into their feathers and skin before it ran off and onto the floor. Second Lesson: Have someone hold the bird while you part the feathers and spray very close to where the feather meets the skin.
4. In the end, I sprayed every bird twice, soaking the entire tail, vent and fluffy belly.

Lingering Questions:
How effective is the Elector when sprayed just in one area?
Does it have to touch every square centimeter of skin to kill the mites?
How long does it last? If a mite egg hatches tomorrow, will the larvae die? What about if an egg hatches in three days? Five?
I have about 1/4 gallon left. I put it in a cabinet in the coop. Will it still be good tomorrow morning so I can spray the 9 bantums that were roosting 12 ft up in the rafters tonight?

I greatly appreciate others lending their experiences.

My 7 day update. I've been checking the birds every day.
Day 1 still had mites on birds
Day 2, fewer mites and some birds had none.
Day 3 only a few birds had mites
Day 4 only 3 birds plus roosters had one or two mites
Day 5 only two birds had mites
Day 6 one bird had dead mites
Day 7 no birds had mites
Today is day 8. I plan on respraying all birds on day 14.

Back
Top Bottom