Well- Chicken Math hit me again! Welcome my new girls!

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
I was feeling a bit lonely after putting my 5 week old chicks outside in their permanent coop/run and after doing a bit of research, decided that 2 more baby chicks just might do the trick to counteract the lonliness. 5 weeks ago I started with two Rhode Island Reds and two days later I had 4 Rhode Island Reds and two Cuckoo Murans! I brooded them indoors for 4 weeks while building their run/coop that attached to the chicken tractor. (I actually brooded them in a huge dog kennel wrapped in hardware cloth in my room.) Because of the heat from the brooders heat lamp and having to close my AC vent to keep the draft out, I spent those 4 lovely weeks sleeping on the couch
1f644.png
If you remember, I started this post by saying that I did some research and decided on two more chicks. Then chicken math hit me and I ended up ordering 2 Americanas and 2 Light Brahamas.

They are the sweetest little things you've ever seen! Each one fell asleep in my hand as I rubbed their neck and beak. I think this time I'm going to try to use the Mama Heating Pad method of brooding and see how that works.

My question is this: can I use the mama heating pad in the brooder and still keep my AC on in my bedroom or would that be too drafty for them? They're so tiny, I don't want them getting too cold. But I'm trying to avoid sleeping on the couch as I just had shoulder surgery on Tuesday. It's too hot to keep them in the garage, and my room is really the only place for them to be brooded.
Any advice is greatly appreciated! All you BYCers are so awesome!
Thanks and take care!

:yiipchick They are simply precious!
I like your run, too!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, nharbison0722.
Chicken math always prevails, doesn't it?
I have so many pullets, it's crazy.

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes! I appreciate that! I had NO IDEA what I was doing when I built that run.... I had never done anything like that in my life! But thanks again! And yes, chicken math always prevails!
Take care!

Oh wow your chicken run it's pretty amazing!
I love chicken math btw, it keeps us happy and it keeps chicks in good homes too.
I also had to use chicken math to justify my recent order of 28 new chicks I just got
Get better soon!

Oh wow your chicken run it's pretty amazing!
I love chicken math btw, it keeps us happy and it keeps chicks in good homes too.
I also had to use chicken math to justify my recent order of 28 new chicks I just got
 Get better soon!

Hey thanks! I appreciate that! I really had no idea what I was doing- I just kinda did it. Probably spent way more than I would have if I had a solid plan! Thanks for the kind words!
Take care!

Run looks great! I'm worried we might be stricken with chicken math soon also. Girls only have about 4 more weeks before they move out to coop/run. We are enjoying having the little girls inside so much...

Run looks great!  I'm worried we might be stricken with chicken math soon also.  Girls only have about 4 more weeks before they move out to coop/run.  We are enjoying having the little girls inside so much...

Thanks! Trust me, once they're outside- you're definitely going to want more! Lol! That's exactly what happened to me!

Back
Top Bottom