Another Mama Heating Pad example

EarthAlabama

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2024
East-Central Ala
I am absolutey new to brooding newly-hatched chicks: no 250W heat lamps ("Easy-Bake Oven"?) for me!
Instead, I have built up my own example of the Mama Heating Pad brooder "cave", with grateful thanks to all the good MHP information I have found here on BYC.
I am using the basic Sunbeam XL (12"x24") heating pad (50W, no auto shut-off), about $20 at the Amz place, and a scrap wood / garden wire (2"x3" grid) support frame, with the pad covered by an old towel on the top.
The 12"x24" wood frame is 4" high at the front, sloping down to a solid 2.5" (inside ht) back wall. The towel hangs down about 1" over the front edge, to form a bit of awning for better heat retention.
Again, after tons of research here on BYC re: preferred bedding for new chicks, I am planning to put down a layer of large-flake pine wood shavings (TSC), covered by a few layers of paper toweling for the first few days, to give the new chicks a slightly smoother surface upon which to scramble around on and see / peck at their starter crumbles food at first.
I plan to remove the paper towels after a few days, letting the chicks scratch around thru the pine shavings bedding for the remainder of the brood period.
As always, I am totally open to suggestions and recommendations.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Mama1.jpg
    Mama1.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 149
  • Mama2.jpg
    Mama2.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Mama3.jpg
    Mama3.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Mama4.jpg
    Mama4.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 59
Hi aart - Thanks for the feedback!
I am planning on 10 chicks to use with the MHP, my thinking was that the single 24" long opening would be enough of an egress....
- the garden wire is a 2"x3" grid , hopefully that is large enough to avoid chicks getting their heads stuck in the wire?

Probably too late to change it, but the heating pad should be on the underside of that grid. Young chicks want to be able to press against it safely for heat, and as others noted pressing against the wire could trap wing tips or heads.

Or Glad Press N Seal it very snugly so there are no gaps for them to get things caught in.

My set up is a little funky (and definitely doesn't hold 10) but allows young chicks to press underneath, and then for them to sit on top of it when they're older and need less heat.

mama3.JPG
mama4.JPG

mama5.JPG
mama6.jpg

Thanks to all for helpful comments - I am planning some small mods to address deficiencies in my MHP example:
- adding threaded-rod extension legs at each corner of the MHP frame, to be able raise the frame's height as needed as the chicks grow
- blocking out the two rear inside frame corners with small diagonal wood panels, to help reduce a trapping / congestion / suffocation risk in those corners
- lining the underside of the MHP wire grid with a piece of thin fabric (cut-up pillow case, bed sheet, etc.) to keep the chicks from poking their heads up thru / getting stuck in / the grid, while still being able to "snuggle up" their backs against the warm heating pad underside.
I'll try to send along some more pics of the changes -

I like it @EarthAlabama !

I used vinyl coated fence pieces, the Sunbeam heating pad, small bungees:
IMG_20230228_204459424.jpg

IMG_20230228_205838388.jpg

The fencing could be bent higher as the chicks grew.

Then I covered it with a pillowcase. The case drooped so I used binder clips and some zip-ties to keep it against the heating pad.
IMG_20230301_173655630.jpg

IMG_20230302_123627436~2.jpg

I used it in an outside brooder in March and then again in mid-April with my second batch of day-old chicks. The only opening was the front, no issues.

Back
Top Bottom