Help! My older pullets and cockerels broke into the coop where I have the babies!!

Crystalann815

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
So I came home from football practice tonight and went in to check water levels and food because I have 9 hungry babies about 4-7 weeks of age... I also have 4 3 month old pullets and cockerels (2of each)
Wouldn't you know it my sneaky chickens broke into the coop and I found them roosting happily. They have full access to the chicks but they aren't bothering them... Should I be worried? Should I move them?

Sounds to me like they have taken integration into their own "wings". Any reason why you can't just put them together tomorrow and see how they do together? There will be a bit of bullying, but integration at a younger age is far better than waiting till they are sexually mature. Give it a go, and see how it goes under your supervision.

The babies have been in there own pin my husband built but they have outgrown it. All of the chickens have been able to see but not touch each other for the last 2 weeks or so. Maybe they are just used to each other? lol. I'm clearly new at this.

The babies have been in there own pin my husband built but they have outgrown it. All of the chickens have been able to see but not touch each other for the last 2 weeks or so. Maybe they are just used to each other? lol. I'm clearly new at this.

Last edited:
It doesn't necessarily have to be tomorrow, but as soon as you have a few hours to supervise, let them out and see how everyone does.

Like lazy gardener said, sooner is better than later especially if they did OK on their own.

So I left them until morning. But I did seperate them because my head cockerel was getting a little feisty! Will be integrating soon!

How about you let them all out together an hour or so before dusk? As long as you watch so you don't lose one of the younger ones (I had one hide under a bush and had to search to put him up), If you are lucky, the young ones will follow the older ones off to bed, a good lesson to learn. It's so much easier to round everyone up at bedtime, much easier than during the day when they run from you. You can pass out treats and really observe the interaction.

Back
Top Bottom