Adding baby chicks to pullets and a cockerel

GalaxyChicken

Chirping
Apr 20, 2023
Florida
Alright, I'm on my second batch of chickens. My first batch is 9 weeks old, 19 standard size pullets and 2 bantams, one being a silkie hen and one being a rooster. They are already outside and doing well.

But my new batch of 4 chickens is only 2 days old, they are bantams and I'm not sure of the gender. When should I mix them with the older flock and will I have any problems with the rooster? He is very friendly and at the bottom of the pecking order in the older flock. When the chicks get older I was thinking about introducing my silkie in with them before the other chicks.

I think it depends on the breed, but I would say as a general rule keep them apart yet in sight of each other so they can get used to each other. Then after they are comfortable with each other you can remove the divider and monitor them. If the big ones are too aggressive they can kill the little chicks. The more space they all have the less stressed and therefore less aggressive they will be.

However, I found with the gentle breeds, such as favorelles, orphangtons, barred rocks, and jersey giants there was little need for separating them. I do monitor them though to make sure all is well and I also check their fluff and make sure the little ones are getting plenty of food and water.

With Ducks I wait until they are fully feathered before I do any introductions and they have the look but not touch period for a while before I do. Good luck with your Chicks. I hope it all works out well.

Back
Top Bottom