Mixing bantam and standard chicks

Aocskasy

Chirping
May 17, 2023
New Fairfield, CT
So a few weeks ago my daughter convinced me that we needed some bantam chicks. We now have 8 from the “assorted bantam” bin at tractor supply. They are now 3 weeks old. My guess is I have 6 old English and 2 black Japanese. I’m picking up 4 new standard chicks tomorrow (2 cream legbar, 2 welsummer). Can they be placed in the same brooder with the three week old bantams or do I need to separate them? This is only my second season raising chicks so I’m still learning the ropes. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

image.jpg
This is a picture of the bantam chicks so you can get an idea of how big they are. I’m not concerned about how much space they have in the current brooder because once they outgrow this setup they will be moving to a 100 gallon stock tank in my garage

Three weeks old is about the most I would would wait to mix chicks. It is better that the older chicks are bantams. I have raised bantams and large breeds together from the start, and then I added a few more about 10 days in. They all did well. Bantams are bit more fragile for the first week. Make sure to dispose all beaks in the water and food at first. Keep some Poultry NutriDrench around in case of any weak chicks. Watch for signs of coccidiosis in the newer baby chicks, and make sure that the bedding is all fresh for them. Stir and add to it frequently. Good luck.

The brooder may be a bit cramped for the new ones since the bantams are growing so fast. I would introduce all of them at the same time to the larger brooder with fresh bedding. Also add a second waterer and feeder at some point. That will prevent the younger ones from being kept from water and food.

I have standards in with bantams right now they are the same age though.
I probably wouldnt mix chicks older than 3 weeks with day olds.
And i would change the bedding before adding the new chicks in

You can never tell for sure what will happen with living animals. I had a two-week-old chick hatched under a broody one day peck a hole in the head of a hatchmate and kill it, then start in on a second hatchmate before I saw what was going on. You just don't get guarantees.

Often it does work. It is not the size of the chicks, bantam versus full-sized, or breed; it is the individual personalities. I'd put them together and observe to see what happens. Base your actions on what you see. I'd have that stock tank ready in case you need it.

You can never tell for sure what will happen with living animals. I had a two-week-old chick hatched under a broody one day peck a hole in the head of a hatchmate and kill it, then start in on a second hatchmate before I saw what was going on. You just don't get guarantees.

Often it does work. It is not the size of the chicks, bantam versus full-sized, or breed; it is the individual personalities. I'd put them together and observe to see what happens. Base your actions on what you see. I'd have that stock tank ready in case you need it.
Its always good to be prepared for something like this.

When i had let two brodies try and hatch they were amazing sitters. Left the next once a day. But a none broody hen decided to eat the eggs. And the one chick that hatched didnt make it . I know next time to seperate

Back
Top Bottom