Some general duck questions

pauleberly

Chirping
Mar 21, 2016
East TN
Looking at getting some ducks. Want egg layers who can't fly and quiet

1. Can chickens and ducks live together?

2. Do ducks have to have water to lay eggs?

3. Pekin, Rouen, kahki, welsh,cayugas , and runners, who is the quietest (in order)

4. Out of the same breeds, who lays the most eggs (in order)

5. Out of the same breeds, who lays the biggest eggs (in order)

6. As far as my research shows, these breeds are not supposed to be able to fly?

7. Do I have to keep the water and food close so that the ducks can make their food soggy?

I currently have 10 very very docile chickens, looking to add about 3 ducks.

I appreciate all the help and the quick responses!

Hoping to get some responses by the end of the night. There is an animal auction in the morning I would like to attend

Muscovy ducks are quiet, are broody to hatch their own next generation, good surrogate egg hatchers, and good size for meat.

Going in order.

1, You could keep the ducks with the chickens. But chickens can be rude, my chickens were fine with my ducks for a little bit. As the chickens got older they started to peck my ducks all the time. So I moved the ducks into a new coop. It's up to you though.

2, You should always have water available for your ducks.

3, All hens for pretty much every duck breed are loud at times. Expect Muscovys, the hens are really quiet.

4, I belive Runners lay the most eggs.:/

5, I am not exactly sure. I think the eggs from all those breeds are pretty much the same size.

6, A friend of mine has Runners and Khakis that can fly. But it's not to commen though for those breeds to fly.

7, You don't need to have the food and water close.

If you have any more questions let me know!:)

When I asked about water, I do not mean drinking water. I meant do they have to have a kiddy pool at all times to even lay eggs, or is just drinking water good enough?

Are muscovys good egg layers? I am wanting the ducks for eggs and not meat. I've heard muscovys can be be pretty tempermental.

I wanted ducks that can't fly because I do let them free range several times a week and want to be able to capture them and put them back in the run. Muscovys can fly if I remember correctly

Does clipping wings prevent all form of flight or can they still achieve some air?

Sorry for all the questions

My geese, Ducks, chickens, Guineas, turkeys, and quail all share one big barn! Thy have learned to get along very well,

Base requirements are that they can atleast get their head into the water because they need to clean their nostril holes. Keep water away from the coop. They will run back and forth to eat and drink over and over again. Haha

I've had all those breeds except runners, they are all pretty quiet (the ones I've had) except when chased or spooked. And when their being chased and mated with by a drake.

They DO NOT need soggy food. And I would recommend the Rouen or khakis. Very good egg production (especially with artificial light, 17 hours a day) I would get almost an egg a day from each female even in the winter from the white layers.

None of their breeds will actually fly, atleast over a 4 foot fence.

Muscovies can seriously fly. I (sad to say) pinion my Guineas and muscovy's or else they will fly WHEREVER THEY WANT. (Neighbors who are grumpy) lol

Muscovy's FLY, their also more apt to be super seasonal layers,

You do not need a kiddy pool. All you need is a bucket or something, as long as they can dunk their head and wash out their nostrils and mouth.

Clipping wings won't keep them from flapping, stretching, or attempting to get air. Haha but the breeds you named full grown won't be getting off the ground, (except I don't know about runner Ducks, never had them)

If your looking for good egg layers you should check out metzer farms golden 300 hybrids. Their pretty and LAY AMAZING!!

best ducks for garden
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom