Chicken ate a baby lizard!

cukuriku

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
I imagine that this isn't totally crazy, but being that this is something totally new in their food interests, I figured I'll ask, even though it's a source of protein which shouldn't harm them. I have plenty of lizards naturally crawling around here (Israel) so it would be useful to know. If it's no harm whatsoever, should I catch them as well to feed it to them? Is it just ok every now and then?

I live in Florida and we also have a ton of lizards. My chickens eat them whenever they can find and catch them. No harm to the chickens at all - it's part of the free-range foraging circle of life. Since we have a ton of bugs in FL, I prefer that my chickens not eat the lizards so that they can continue assisting with the bug problem. I guess it would be up to you whether you want your lizards to become food or stay around to do their job.

I live in Florida and we also have a ton of lizards. My chickens eat them whenever they can find and catch them. No harm to the chickens at all - it's part of the free-range foraging circle of life. Since we have a ton of bugs in FL, I prefer that my chickens not eat the lizards so that they can continue assisting with the bug problem. I guess it would be up to you whether you want your lizards to become food or stay around to do their job.
Lol well, I guess they don't take care of swarms of ants, nor do they take care of the ground-digging hornets and massive wasps that live in our backyard tree, they're all really annoying in this season and the lizards aren't doing that much good, so I guess I don't mind if from time to time they eat a lizard or two. Btw, this time my son found it and caught it, and tossed it into the run, and oh my was that hen excited-swallowed it whole!!
ep.gif
So I guess that'll be the fate of the lizards in the yard from now on...thanks for the help!

A couple of days ago, I was in the the pen and noticed a small toad, about the size of a large grape with legs. I let it be. Two hens see it and investigate, but leave it be. A third sees it and in two seconds she swallowed it. The only thing I catch for them are insects if I happen to see one or see a hen eyeballing one that's out of her reach. GC

Back
Top Bottom