Three Hens in the Run, Five Eggs in Lockdown

Cerise1924

Crowing
Aug 22, 2016
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hello from Oregon!

I've visited BYC for info on and off over the years, but now that I am trying my first hatch (peafowl!) I joined so I could ask for help and info. I want so much (as everyone does) to have healthy, thriving chicks and I have been doing all I can to get it right with humidity, temperature, turning and candling. I only had one obvious quitter in six.

I know it's tough with shipped eggs, but I have one that started whistling last night and just pipped this morning! My concern is that the pip is just a small, gentle crack in the shell. Will this be enough to provide oxygen?

I've no clue but I hope it turns out well. Did you post in either or both the peafowl and the hatching & incubating forums? Best wishes!
Thanks so much for the tips and the good thoughts. I posted a pic in the incubating forum, and got a few big thumbs up on the pip. The size and position look just right. I'm so glad!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. From the feedback you have received all seems well, which is great. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Best wishes
CT

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. From the feedback you have received all seems well, which is great. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Best wishes
CT
Thank you so much for your kind interest. I am up in the middle of the night, watching a little peachick unzip!
smile.png

I am so happy and amazed watching this miracle. Best wishes to you and thanks again.

Sending good hatching vibes your way. Hope you will update with photos later on. You would like the "peafowl thread," very nice folks on there.

Woke up to a beautiful, active, energetic and adorable chick!

This is day 27, so the little one is a wee bit early. No sign of pipping from any other eggs. Question. I have to go to work? Do I leave the chick in the incubator, or make the move to the brooder? I am worried about not being able to dry off well, since I have very high humidity in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom