Initial Pip - Egg tooth made a clean ‘slice’ and is stuck?

Jojociita

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
So I even went to ChatGPT with this and the thing said that it was both rare for an egg tooth to slice and not “crack” the shell, as well as get STUCK.

I’m incubating 24 eggs from a coworker, silkie and olive eggers. This baby is a silkie and she made her initial pip, not only malpositioned, but also stuck? Her egg tooth seemed to make a clean cut into the shell without any additional cracks etc. and she’s trying VERY HARD topull her egg tooth back in, but seems stuck. No other pips or openings in the shell. She 12 hours early and there are others who have piped internally and are Peeping. If she pipped externally immediately… she needs air… and if her egg tooth it stuck in the shell.. no air. There’s plenty of peeping but I don’t think it’s from her. I don’t want to compromise her siblings, but I also don’t want to let her die because she had a freak circumstance.

Humidity was 45 - 55 the entire incubation averaging at 99.8 f temp. 5th hatch, diy incubator using micro controllers and iot (i built and coded smart devices to turn on and off heat during the incubation to maintain a consistent temp). Lockdown humidity is at 68%. Half are in a carton, half I placed in cupcake liners. She’s one in the carton.

What in the world do I do? Crack the side door barely and try to use a qtip to quickly assist her egg tooth back into her egg? Leave her alone?

The carton is yellow and the light makes her shell look tan but it’s a tiny white silkie egg. Either way it’s hard to see, so I colored around everything to show what I can see with my actual eyes.

She was rocking and trying to pull her egg tooth free earlier, but she’s very barely active now. I don’t want her to suffocate, but I have no idea how to help. I took the best pics I find considering the circumstance and my available angles. teal is the outline of the egg, pink is to show the angle and the egg tooth. I added an additional picture to so a possible additional pip attempt? We’re 4 hours from day 21, but this happened about 7 hours ago. She’s early, but I still worry about oxygen simply because she pipped early and incorrectly. I have half a mind to gently coax the tooth back into the shell but I don’t want to risk hurting her or the other internally pipped chicks 😭 IMG_7339.jpeg IMG_7331.jpeg IMG_7341.jpeg

Ah, I forgot to add, though I mentioned this breed, they are chicken eggs, and I set them at 5am on the 5th of November so I count day 1 as 5am on the 6th of November. I’m not catching any movement anymore as it’s looking like the crown of the egg (wide end) has oily mottling. Theresa faint red line on at least one side of the”pip” so I’m wondering if she nicked a blood vessel and has been passed for a while. Still haven’t opened the bator because her internally pipped sibling to the right has since fully pipped, as I don’t want to shrink wrap anyone.

Adding a picture I jut took, black and white to more easily see the mottling and the barely visible egg tooth (and her sibling who pipped 💜) it’s very visible with the naked eye but hard to capture. When viewed at an angle I can’t get a pic from, you can see her tooth just jutting straight out. :( I hate for the first pip to such a heart wrenching one, but I’m not sure if I CAN do anything to help without risking the other 23 eggs, or if I should. Or if she’s still alive 💔

Attachments

• IMG_7353.jpeg
    IMG_7353.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 14
To be honest, it looks like a plain pip to me and not anything stuck in it. I don't have a picture now but a chicken egg tooth is so small and barely elevated above beak level, I don't think it is big enough to even get stuck. Again it just looks like the upturned chipped shell.
Make sure your temp is right, run the humidity up and ignore it till it is time to count chicks.

To be honest, it looks like a plain pip to me and not anything stuck in it. I don't have a picture now but a chicken egg tooth is so small and barely elevated above beak level, I don't think it is big enough to even get stuck. Again it just looks like the upturned chipped shell.
Make sure your temp is right, run the humidity up and ignore it till it is time to count chicks.
Much appreciated 💜 it wasn’t shell so I don’t know what it was, flat, triangular and constantly pitching the egg back to wrench free. It finally did so, sometime last night, but no other movement since 🥲 I’ve hatched out 6 beautifully chaotic chicks this far tho. One was out 8 hours early, another 2 hours past 5am, the third around 7pm and the last 3 as I was commuting an hour home from 9:15-10:15. I’ve got two beautiful olive eggers, 2 adorable blonde/platinum silkies, and two “wildcards” as it were. I’ve no clue. My coworker just hands me eggs and I try to incubate. 😂 there’s another peeping in hell (of the original 24) but I’ve no clue who so I’m just sitting back and anxiously awaiting whoever is the new arrival 💜🐣

P.S. The platinum colored silkie wats to lay on its back but moves around fine otherwise.. should I be concerned? 😅

Did dnot** that hygrometer int calibrated for humidity, we’re ridin at about 64.8% now that he hatching has chilled
ppsc113e534e01774355-20231126182744233.jpeg ppsc47239cbf8b104429-20231126205747189.jpeg ppsc47239cbf8b104429-20231126210039259.jpeg ppsc47239cbf8b104429-20231126210845732.jpeg IMG_7500.jpeg IMG_7510.jpeg IMG_7529.jpeg IMG_7531.jpeg

I'd give the little Silkie a vitamin boost just in case. Our wry neck chick would lie on his back but he couldn't stand up properly so hopefully not. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

I seem to always be the bearer of bad news on this site. But I have to say, I have never had a chick laying on its back in the incubator or brooder that survived.
I'm talking dozens at least.

Last edited:
How is the chick doing?
If still struggling vitamin e in case of wry neck 1/4 vitamin b complex for muscles and nerves seems to be the advice. Tiny bit of selenium to aid absorption .

If still struggling vitamin e in case of wry neck 1/4 vitamin b complex for muscles and nerves seems to be the advice. Tiny bit of selenium to aid absorption .
She’s actually perfect now! I gave them all chick thrive and medstart, and it kinda just worked itself out? She was very unstable for the first few days, and would topple sideways if another chick barely brushed her,… then she’d just kinda lay there? She was also bizarrely ok with me picking her her up, not a peep. But the blonde silkie she hatched out with would run at my hand screeching. 😂 Fierce!! The two have been inseparable. The blondie is very protective of her. But once she got her landlegs under her, she was fine. Silkies are notoriously… slow… but she seems especially daft? Space cadet imo. But she’s happy, healthy, and growing well with her sister silkie and Olive Egger sisters that hatched along side her 💛🐣🐥 They are all back with my coworker who gave me the eggs to attempt hatching. Everything I have is DIY and he has a huge flock with too many eggs. When I told him I wanted to try hatching, he happily shoved a bunch of eggs at me. Apparently whenever his girls go broody they give up rather quickly so he rarely gets to have baby chicks. He and his wife have been overjoyed with each little clutch i bring them, and I’ve gotten to simply revel in the process. Its anxiety-inducing, but SO rewarding. Coming to terms with knowing that many won’t hatch and some that hatch won’t make it. Though it’s hard, it’s far more rewarding!

**Ignore the cheap-o thermometers, I have crappy ones and good on scattered everywhere to get a good idea of the actual temp lol**
IMG_7539.jpeg
IMG_7550.jpeg
IMG_7555.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7547.jpeg
    IMG_7547.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom