When to move eggs from hen to incubator?

Estrella

Chirping
Sep 13, 2023
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi all, I have a gorgeous, huge English Buff Orpington sitting on 12 eggs and it’s day 21. She started with 14, but kicked two out. I candeled on day 11 and all 12 were good. Where I’m at, it’s now mid afternoon and to be exact, they have been under her for exactly 21 days and 3 hours. The eggs came in the mail and went straight under her, so my guess is they reached body temperature a few hours after that. She’s been the best broody, leaving her nest only to drink and eat and dust bathe once or twice a day, for max 5 minuters. She’s in the coop but closed off so no one can get in. She has her full privacy and lots of treats and her fave foods. But, being a first time mom and me being a first time under-hen-hatcher, I wonder when, or if, I should move her eggs to an incubator? She talks a lot today in there, but I can’t hear any pipping, although I have not been in there as I don’t want to disturb her. I probably worry in vain, but just wanted to check with all of you pro’s here. Thanks!

Hi all, I have a gorgeous, huge English Buff Orpington sitting on 12 eggs and it’s day 21. She started with 14, but kicked two out. I candeled on day 11 and all 12 were good. Where I’m at, it’s now mid afternoon and to be exact, they have been under her for exactly 21 days and 3 hours. The eggs came in the mail and went straight under her, so my guess is they reached body temperature a few hours after that. She’s been the best broody, leaving her nest only to drink and eat and dust bathe once or twice a day, for max 5 minuters. She’s in the coop but closed off so no one can get in. She has her full privacy and lots of treats and her fave foods. But, being a first time mom and me being a first time under-hen-hatcher, I wonder when, or if, I should move her eggs to an incubator? She talks a lot today in there, but I can’t hear any pipping, although I have not been in there as I don’t want to disturb her. I probably worry in vain, but just wanted to check with all of you pro’s here. Thanks!
I have only ever done an incubator hatch, but I suggest moving six or eight of the eggs, imagine if you were a foot tall and had 12 kids lol. she might not be able to protect them all, but you should leave some for her to care for.

I have only ever done an incubator hatch, but I suggest moving six or eight of the eggs, imagine if you were a foot tall and had 12 kids lol. she might not be able to protect them all, but you should leave some for her to care for.
Good thinking, and if all doesn’t hatch I’ll just give them back to her, I guess. I have a camera on her so I’ll keep an eye.

I’ll only tell you what I’d do in the same situation. I’d have the incubator and brooder up and running for backup. Since all’s been going smoothly, I’d leave my broody to hatch the eggs. I would monitor closely in the event that a chick(s) may need to be moved. It sounds like your girl is doing everything right. The flock doesn’t have access to her, so I’d let her keep the eggs to hatch on her own. As long as she’s in a safe and secure area (and you’re monitoring the hatch), let her enjoy the chicks hatching. Sounds like she’s going to be a good mother. 🥰❤️ Be sure to post photos of the new family!

I'd leave her be, she's extra chatty because she's talking to her babies, cheering them on to hatch. My black English Orp hatched 4 clutches last year, with the flock, and all I did was make sure there was a chick waterer and feed available, she did the rest. Do keep an eye on her to make sure she is clucking at them and doing all that good mama hen stuff. Just sit back and watch the magic happen, there is nothing better than a broody with her babies!

I'd leave her be, she's extra chatty because she's talking to her babies, cheering them on to hatch.
I agree with those that said leave them..

and also note that 21 days is an estimate not an exact calculation.. Hens bodies just like human bodies may run at SLIGHTLY different temperatures. The average being between 105-107 (internal) according to my research. You can see that IF they run hotter may hatch sooner or running cooler may hatch a touch later.

A full size broody is perfectly capable of rearing a dozen chicks to term. Some broody's are better than others.. but give her a chance!

imagine if you were a foot tall and had 12 kids lol.
Ya, but that's imagining it from a human perspective.. and we weren't built (created, whatever) for broods like that. It's not natural.

From a chicken's imagination.. That's what they LIVE to do and is what comes natural to them. ;)

That's why it's not good for folks to anthropomorphize animals TOO much.. Yes, they have feelings and even some thoughts.. but no, they're not based on human morals or beliefs.. or fears. They are not humans or having a human experience. They are chickens having a chicken experience. In case anyone was unsure. :oops:

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Thank you all for your awesome replies! I have my incubator up and running just in case, and I’ll let her have them, she’s been such a good girl with them. It’s dark here now, and I will keep an eye on her for as long as I can today/night. She’s also been out eating a lot more today, very quickly and then back to the eggs. And yes. she is a BIG girl and 12 eggs under her looks like nothing. An English Orp is very big and when she sits on the eggs she’s probably at least 35 cm/14” across. Fingers crossed! Will update, of course!

Update again, 24 days after shoving those eggs under her - a tiny little male Cream Legbar suddenly appeared on the camera! He must have hatched last night, he is miniscule. Just bought 3 backups (black copper marans) that I will put under her tonight, and hopefully there will be more chicks there then! I’ve never even heard of a hatch on day 24? I’m puzzled. Date I put her on these eggs were Feb 27 at 12 noon.

Attachments

• IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom