noise

worms7

Songster
May 22, 2015
england
I know at times chickens can be noisy but is there a breed of chicken that is more quieter than the other
cheers Phil

I think that my silkies are pretty quiet in comparison to some of my other breeds. If you have roosters in your flock than it is going to be noisy regardless of the breed. If it is all hens than I think that most breeds would work for you. There will be an occasional squabble over a nesting box and birds establishing the pecking order but nothing like the noise that roosters make. Good luck!

In my limited experience my Golden Buffs are pretty quiet. I originally got 3 Golden Buffs and on Rhode Island Red a month ago. The first morning after getting them the RIR was making all sorts of racket like it was trying to be a rooster. In some places that wouldn't be an issue but seeing how I'm in an urban environment with nice neighbors I didn't want to do anything to get them upset about the hens. I took that bird back and got a 4th Golden Buff. The only time they make any appreciable noise is after they lay an egg in the morning.

In my experience, how noisy a chicken is can be a chicken by chicken proposition. While I am sure some breeds are qeieter than others, i think any chicken can be noisy. I have had very noisy leghorns, and the leghorn hen I have now is my quietest hen. I think while you may get some generalzations from everyone, remember it is no guarantee that your birds will be quiet.

Back
Top Bottom