Drake drowning duck ?

Eringm

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 20, 2016
So I have a medium size rectangular pool for my ducks and today my mallard was in it while the drake was standing outside of it then my drake jumped in aswell and started to clean himself for a few minutes, the next thing I know my drake was on top of my mallard, he was pushing her head under water and when her head came back up she was making a loud quack sound. Luckily she got out and so did the drake, I noticed this white stuff hanging from the drake aswell.

Why did my drake do this ?

That would be mating you just witnessed ;)
It looks much more alarming than it actually is; he won't drown her, don't worry, he's holding her head up so she can breathe.

Thanks for info :) but why are they mating if my mallard is to young to lay ? She's about a month from laying, doesn't the drake know that she's to young ?

Thanks for info
smile.png
but why are they mating if my mallard is to young to lay ? She's about a month from laying, doesn't the drake know that she's to young ?

Uhm, no, actually. Trying to think of how to put this politely. All the drake knows is that he has an urge. Drakes have been known to try to mate with any number of living things, and I think I recall hearing of a drake who was not limiting himself to living things.

And yes, drakes can and do drown ducks.

Last edited:
Yep, mating! As was said before, the drake isn't really concerned with her readiness, she's accessible, he's ready.

Drakes sometimes decide that non-ducks are worthy of their affections. From chickens too boots they are attracted to some odd things sometimes.

Just out of curiosity, how many males and females are you keeping? You want to be sure you have enough females and not too many males.

Could I just get 1 more duck or would I need a few more ? The thing is we keep chickens (9 to be exact) and space is filling up fast

Back
Top Bottom