Yews, always a death sentence?

teaton

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
Clarksville, TN
Ive read almost every article i could on animals eating yews and every single one states the animal will die within hours sometimes up to 2 days later. One statement was that a mouth full of yew could kill a horse or cow within 15 minutes, and that 50 needles could kill a man. Theres no antidotes nothing you can do.
Well you could imagine my dismay after my two 4 month old doelings just ran right up to one and proceeded to eat atleast 2 mouthfuls each as im running and screaming towards them before i could get them to stop. That was yesterday around 4:00 and i must have stayed up in the barn with them googling symptoms until atleast 1am this morning. So far they are fine and have no symptoms but i know that we're not out of the clear for 3 days. My question is has anyone had a goat or animal eat yew and survive? Is this shrub as lethal as they say? And if so is there really nothing i can do?

Were they my doelings, I'd give it a shot.
Dose Milk of Magnesia orally at 15 cc per 60 pounds bodyweight every four to six hours until the goat's feces turns clumpy then back to normal. Keep your babies hydrated with electrolytes-- laxatives are very dehydrating.

I went and got it and gave them the dosage, i will continue today, i have fresh water and electrolytes on hand. And as soon as possible we plan on tearing up and burning all the yews, i knew they were poisionous but i had no idea how lethal they really are! We dont need them!

Thanks guys so far they still arent showing any symptoms and its been 24 hours, im still dosing milk of magnesia.
This was them a little while ago enjoying climbing our steps lol

Are you sure your yews are even poisonous? Very often several plants go by the same common name.

Back
Top Bottom