Cat - My Experience Treating Panleukopenia

What you want to check is for the FVRCP vaccine. That is a 3in one vac. The P is for panleukopenia. FELV is feline leukemia.
What Lily, the older cat got it says "RCPC Annual," and Stella who is just a year now got "FeLV / ds" and "FeLV #1."

Stella came from a TNR group (trap and something feral cats) and they tip their ear, fix, and vaccinate them so maybe that's why she's getting different. I gave the vet ppw from them but I can't read it.

I'm showing all this and what Casportpony said to my vet when I take Stella in for the booster to make sure they are getting this one for sure too.

Doxycycline 50 mg. That was for the corgi. Our older dog, Border Collie got Lymes twice and was on something else I don't recall. The first time there was no vaccination, then a couple years later they came out with it and I didn't get it for her as I was skeptical. Then she got Lymes again, so I got her vaccinated. They've both always been on Credelio as well.
Whoa, there is a vaccine to prevent Lyme's? And what is Credelio?

@casportpony, you are amazing! This kitten sure lucked out, landing in your lap! Is he a foster or a keeper?

I disagree here: the canine Lyme vaccines are pretty good. Dogs already infected may be different story. And it's not a nice disease, for those individuals who get sick.
Why no human vaccine yet? There was briefly one in the early 2000"s, which went away for lack of demand. New ones in trials now.
Horses have annual vaccines against Eastern, Western, and West Nile Encephalitis, at least. None for humans, lacking demand.
Mary

What Lily, the older cat got it says "RCPC Annual," and Stella who is just a year now got "FeLV / ds" and "FeLV #1."

Stella came from a TNR group (trap and something feral cats) and they tip their ear, fix, and vaccinate them so maybe that's why she's getting different. I gave the vet ppw from them but I can't read it.

I'm showing all this and what Casportpony said to my vet when I take Stella in for the booster to make sure they are getting this one for sure too.
It's such a standard vaccine that I would be shocked if the rescue did not do it, but by all means double check with the vet. TNR stands for trap, neuter, release. If the cats are tame enough to be pets, then those groups place them in homes, of course, rather than release them.

Whoa, there is a vaccine to prevent Lyme's? And what is Credelio?

@casportpony, you are amazing! This kitten sure lucked out, landing in your lap! Is he a foster or a keeper?
Credelio is a prescription oral medication for dogs that prevents and controls fleas and ticks. It's also used to treat flea allergy dermatitis.

Various vaccinations for Lymes has come and gone. This last one they have I guess came out about a decade or so ago. I wouldn't get it if your dogs are never around ticks, but we live next to a forest, so no matter how many chickens we have, they could never keep up.

And yes, @casportpony has a heart of gold to do all of this for her kitten. That is one lucky kitten!

Last edited:
From my experiences the vaccine doesn't really work.
It didn't really work on our corgi either in that she still got Lymes, but the vet said it was the "good kind." :rolleyes: At least the meds for this "version" was 1/4 the cost of the meds the border collie had to have, twice. The border collie did not have Lymes this time. That proves to me it works, but, from my reading, it's not always successful so some could say it doesn't work, and some could say it does. Having a dog have Lymes twice and now this time didn't get it, but the other one did, is proof enough to me.

Continuing this thread hijack: ticks, including new species with new diseases, are moving into many places that previously had few or none.
Sorry, @casportpony , back to your kitten, still doing well?
Mary
No worries, hijack away.

Little Orange Boy has been off subcutaneous fluids for three days, is eating well, and is gaining weight.

Back
Top Bottom