RIP Sammy. Feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV)

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
Had some sad news in our family today, but learned something new I thought worth sharing.

I took Sammy, our male Siamese outdoor cat to the vet today, because he's been lethargic for several days and hasn't eaten or drank water for three days. I was terribly concerned that he might have eaten a mouse that ate the rat poison in our livestock feed shed. He'd been fighting with another cat(s) and had scratches on his head and face. The vet ran some standard preliminary tests first to rule out certain other diseases, since he wasn't showing symptoms of poisoning (yet). We still don't know if he got into the rat poison, but he DID test positive for Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV, the cat equivalent of human AIDS).

In my understanding, FIV is transmitted from cat to cat usually by fighting, through a bite or other injury. Most often it's an outdoor cat that has not been neutered or spayed, but can infect indoor cats too, if they come into contact with any infected cat. The virus attacks the immune system. Cats can be infected for years before they show any symptoms, or may not show symptoms at all. What is does is make the cat susceptible to other infections. Since their immune system is compromised, they can't fight off infections that a healthy cat would have little trouble overcoming. There is no vaccine. There is no cure. Although some human treatments for AIDS are showing some promise in felines, too.

A cat with FIV can live a normal, healthy life, IF they are protected from other illnesses and injuries that could cause infection. They need to be isolated from other cats and kept indoors. Death from the FIV is usually because of a secondary infection. FIV cannot be transmitted to humans or dogs. (I didn't ask about other animals; please ask your vet if you are concerned.)

Because the risk of infection to our other cats is very high, and he appears to be entering the critical phase of the disease when his immune system is very weak, AND we have no way to isolate him and tend to his special needs for whatever time he may have left --- we chose to have him humanely euthanized today.

I'm devastated. Love you, Sammy. Go get some mice over the Rainbow Bridge.

KOOEsCaI_vtjfu-8RV60SoLHgepuH7p_RF2thaO38MDVJeEI1Bv8AGbTOakG9wKavRGWMM9Pq7pEBcE3IZIilxF6Uhezf673M6YLMTa7BcIapgNdduSfTddnyFY_m4wU7_xIdXLElC5I_ZjzkmtF0RokH_kNQk6WTZ6SyJqNDr0p57IwUW_pfwom5p_KMnwuK-WKEHDZRVqXZfuhH5gb9eGKFLugx_tkwDRAf3UyG4idl3oEqqDF4IM4MaPUjXcfr28zSHXPwBMFSS5StYxWvR-dmdBoSNlf0wp46wfRLGOoB890L5klaai5UgYJRwb6AfI05P12V_r4GJQ75YWiBbhe2izmt-zrc1dYh9YaLWkN2TqgTitawa3yJ2BjHr-7L3eqnE5Rk511iFSN17J52tIm36NpPP7uHsrMHD4TfBjYnWBoW6-4beRCsrIIhJF0hDS3dGzZFm4SERnVdr6YxlOv76BP8RNvQZ3Zp8tqtx7EDa6IlKjpKyDpQ1wDeyky2yNexRUEiWk958lA0p79dMunqZfCpYZvZc4B-McVQkHnSDPaXoF5559-UwZ6iYjlc4OqiM5XqjsD-igv5sgO3ayWaviF9ac2hpDQLX50_7-H8zlSFqATeqXXwiqgpdLsOjkTSE9P33nkJ1u6Qh3GM75gP_hEkLy9e_M_WsMkyDWsDf7GlRpPLJJm-_QWG6hQ4bLiVtR5vCWK_MyQk9oeaS5yWkktGKb2LcMrpRN3ynWyRo3lPS38S-Xi-yRWIh8m79HeiN8ewZ1Y5vedOzn21NXc3nlT5tg-zTevfSizmlpH8S5dw-Is5kdqsW96NxdKBGnUX8DwQZCRuvzyRMY4PL0sKf0JIbHFG9mtAZuPyVY_KBufIjuDGzd7bSxD6vjJB4B-oer0fs_4g_dOiWZUvl2fAr7FglEsjSDOeVicRRaS-fPT=w1338-h990-no

Sammy was abandoned in the country and ended up at our door about 3 years ago. It took me weeks to earn his trust and get him to come into the garage for safety at night. But every morning, he'd want out. He spent his time roaming between our farm and two others. I got him vaccinated, and regularly wormed him and treated for fleas and ticks, but my husband declined to have him neutered. The vet warned me that intact male cats usually only live in the outdoors for 2-3 years. I suppose that we thought we could beat the odds by making sure he stayed well fed and had adequate shelter and basic health care. We were wrong. I never knew about FIV before today. Now I have to inform the neighbors; one of whom has several barn cats.

In spite of my sadness, I do have a bit of dark humor: It occurred to me tonight, while I was out back of the garden where our other deceased pets are buried, that I was in the pet cemetery alone, after dark on a full moon, with a dead cat to be buried.
Stephen King ring any bells?

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful! At least he knew love before he left.

FIV is absolutely terrible. I wish there was some way to eradicate it. My fiancé's family cat succumbed to it as well. I hope that the other cats in the area are okay.

I'm sorry for your loss. He was such a handsome boy. ❤️
One of my sisters just had to put down her elderly cat from FIV only a few days ago. He was a cat she rescued from a hoarding situation and she had him several years before he showed symptoms.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful! At least he knew love before he left. FIV is absolutely terrible. I wish there was some way to eradicate it. My fiancé's family cat succumbed to it as well. I hope that the other cats in the area are okay.
I'm sorry for your loss. He was such a handsome boy. ❤️
One of my sisters just had to put down her elderly cat from FIV only a few days ago. He was a cat she rescued from a hoarding situation and she had him several years before he showed symptoms.
Thank you both for your kind words. Last night was terrible, as I kept turning around expecting to see him - in my window when he wants in, slipping in or out through the garage door, slurping his beloved warm milk, sleeping on his favorite cat bed in the garage bathroom, or on an old recliner pushed into a corner.
My husband informed the neighbor, but I doubt he'll do anything about it. So sad. I don't know of any other neighbors who have cats (we're all pretty scattered, 1/8 to 1/4 mile apart).
I'm debating which of our cats to have tested, or all four. They're all indoor cats, and if one's got it, then they all likely have it, too. We just won't allow any new cats into the household until all four have passed. (The youngest is only 5 months old.) I suppose I should get the kitten tested at least, so I can inform the other buyers if she's positive. Sadly, one of these is my nephew who has a herd of barn cats and indoor cats, too. Oh sheesh....

Thank you both for your kind words. Last night was terrible, as I kept turning around expecting to see him - in my window when he wants in, slipping in or out through the garage door, slurping his beloved warm milk, sleeping on his favorite cat bed in the garage bathroom, or on an old recliner pushed into a corner.
Ygh, I'm so sorry. It hurts so bad, it's true. :hugsI also put down my cat just recently, about two weeks ago. He was almost 17 and failing. It was definitely his time but I so didn't want it to be. I cried so much over the weekend that my face looked burned. The day after I put him down, I could have sworn i heard him meow outside my door when I was changing. My brain was so used to seeing/hearing him around that it was just making things up. 💔
My husband informed the neighbor, but I doubt he'll do anything about it. So sad. I don't know of any other neighbors who have cats (we're all pretty scattered, 1/8 to 1/4 mile apart).
I'm debating which of our cats to have tested, or all four. They're all indoor cats, and if one's got it, then they all likely have it, too. We just won't allow any new cats into the household until all four have passed. (The youngest is only 5 months old.) I suppose I should get the kitten tested at least, so I can inform the other buyers if she's positive. Sadly, one of these is my nephew who has a herd of barn cats and indoor cats, too. Oh sheesh....
How expensive is the test to get done? If it's relatively inexpensive, I would lean towards testing all of them, that way you know for sure.

Ygh, I'm so sorry. It hurts so bad, it's true. :hugsI also put down my cat just recently, about two weeks ago. He was almost 17 and failing. It was definitely his time but I so didn't want it to be. I cried so much over the weekend that my face looked burned. The day after I put him down, I could have sworn i heard him meow outside my door when I was changing. My brain was so used to seeing/hearing him around that it was just making things up. 💔

How expensive is the test to get done? If it's relatively inexpensive, I would lean towards testing all of them, that way you know for sure.
Awwww I'm so sorry for your kitty, too.

My vet charged $61.75 for the office visit, and $67.00 for the "FIV and leukemia snap test". I don't think I need to test all of them, since if one has FIV then they all probably have it. Even if only one has it, the others have been exposed - and we're not about to try to keep them separate or rehome them.

The kitten we kept (Elvira) has an appointment Tuesday to be spayed. She is the only one that we have a responsibility to get tested, for the sake her siblings and their owners. If she's negative, then I don't have to inform the other kitten buyers of anything. None of the kittens had physical contact (bites or scratches) with the other two cats nor with Sammy. Elvira's mother (Karma), though tiny, was a formidable bear about protecting her babies.

If Elvira tests positive, then I'll know she got it from her mother - and that Karma got it from mating with Sammy last summer. It's possible that both of the other cats got it too, but nothing about it changes their care or living conditions. It is what it is. We just won't get any more cats.

Had some sad news in our family today, but learned something new I thought worth sharing.

I took Sammy, our male Siamese outdoor cat to the vet today, because he's been lethargic for several days and hasn't eaten or drank water for three days. I was terribly concerned that he might have eaten a mouse that ate the rat poison in our livestock feed shed. He'd been fighting with another cat(s) and had scratches on his head and face. The vet ran some standard preliminary tests first to rule out certain other diseases, since he wasn't showing symptoms of poisoning (yet). We still don't know if he got into the rat poison, but he DID test positive for Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV, the cat equivalent of human AIDS).

In my understanding, FIV is transmitted from cat to cat usually by fighting, through a bite or other injury. Most often it's an outdoor cat that has not been neutered or spayed, but can infect indoor cats too, if they come into contact with any infected cat. The virus attacks the immune system. Cats can be infected for years before they show any symptoms, or may not show symptoms at all. What is does is make the cat susceptible to other infections. Since their immune system is compromised, they can't fight off infections that a healthy cat would have little trouble overcoming. There is no vaccine. There is no cure. Although some human treatments for AIDS are showing some promise in felines, too.

A cat with FIV can live a normal, healthy life, IF they are protected from other illnesses and injuries that could cause infection. They need to be isolated from other cats and kept indoors. Death from the FIV is usually because of a secondary infection. FIV cannot be transmitted to humans or dogs. (I didn't ask about other animals; please ask your vet if you are concerned.)

Because the risk of infection to our other cats is very high, and he appears to be entering the critical phase of the disease when his immune system is very weak, AND we have no way to isolate him and tend to his special needs for whatever time he may have left --- we chose to have him humanely euthanized today.

I'm devastated. Love you, Sammy. Go get some mice over the Rainbow Bridge.

KOOEsCaI_vtjfu-8RV60SoLHgepuH7p_RF2thaO38MDVJeEI1Bv8AGbTOakG9wKavRGWMM9Pq7pEBcE3IZIilxF6Uhezf673M6YLMTa7BcIapgNdduSfTddnyFY_m4wU7_xIdXLElC5I_ZjzkmtF0RokH_kNQk6WTZ6SyJqNDr0p57IwUW_pfwom5p_KMnwuK-WKEHDZRVqXZfuhH5gb9eGKFLugx_tkwDRAf3UyG4idl3oEqqDF4IM4MaPUjXcfr28zSHXPwBMFSS5StYxWvR-dmdBoSNlf0wp46wfRLGOoB890L5klaai5UgYJRwb6AfI05P12V_r4GJQ75YWiBbhe2izmt-zrc1dYh9YaLWkN2TqgTitawa3yJ2BjHr-7L3eqnE5Rk511iFSN17J52tIm36NpPP7uHsrMHD4TfBjYnWBoW6-4beRCsrIIhJF0hDS3dGzZFm4SERnVdr6YxlOv76BP8RNvQZ3Zp8tqtx7EDa6IlKjpKyDpQ1wDeyky2yNexRUEiWk958lA0p79dMunqZfCpYZvZc4B-McVQkHnSDPaXoF5559-UwZ6iYjlc4OqiM5XqjsD-igv5sgO3ayWaviF9ac2hpDQLX50_7-H8zlSFqATeqXXwiqgpdLsOjkTSE9P33nkJ1u6Qh3GM75gP_hEkLy9e_M_WsMkyDWsDf7GlRpPLJJm-_QWG6hQ4bLiVtR5vCWK_MyQk9oeaS5yWkktGKb2LcMrpRN3ynWyRo3lPS38S-Xi-yRWIh8m79HeiN8ewZ1Y5vedOzn21NXc3nlT5tg-zTevfSizmlpH8S5dw-Is5kdqsW96NxdKBGnUX8DwQZCRuvzyRMY4PL0sKf0JIbHFG9mtAZuPyVY_KBufIjuDGzd7bSxD6vjJB4B-oer0fs_4g_dOiWZUvl2fAr7FglEsjSDOeVicRRaS-fPT=w1338-h990-no

Sammy was abandoned in the country and ended up at our door about 3 years ago. It took me weeks to earn his trust and get him to come into the garage for safety at night. But every morning, he'd want out. He spent his time roaming between our farm and two others. I got him vaccinated, and regularly wormed him and treated for fleas and ticks, but my husband declined to have him neutered. The vet warned me that intact male cats usually only live in the outdoors for 2-3 years. I suppose that we thought we could beat the odds by making sure he stayed well fed and had adequate shelter and basic health care. We were wrong. I never knew about FIV before today. Now I have to inform the neighbors; one of whom has several barn cats.

In spite of my sadness, I do have a bit of dark humor: It occurred to me tonight, while I was out back of the garden where our other deceased pets are buried, that I was in the pet cemetery alone, after dark on a full moon, with a dead cat to be buried.
Stephen King ring any bells?
I'm sorry about Sammy. I've had Siamese cats, loved them to pieces.

I've been doing TNR with feral cats since we moved in to our house back in 2006. Currently I'm bereft of cats but eventually those in the neighborhood will decide to accept food here (and get trapped).

Years ago one feral/stray that showed up was sweet, all black, so became "Blackie". When we had him neutered they did test him for FIV. He apparently was positive but no one called us to let us know. We found out after we brought him home and released him. He did well for over a year before he started getting sniffly, and passed shortly after.

It's been my understanding that FIV is mainly transmitted through fighting and mating, not casual contact. I will stand corrected if I am mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom