Australorp or Jersey Giant?

CarpCharacin

Dilettante
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I entered all 7 of my chickens into the state fair. I picked them up last night because yesterday was the last day of the fair. I have 2 chickens that I got when they were little and the hatchery claimed they were jersey giants. They wrote australorp on the cards at the fair even though I entered them as jersey giants. Their toes are mostly light grey, but it has a little yellow in the center. Don't jerseys get bigger than australorps? I hope they are jerseys. Are they jerseys or australorps?

If you got them from a hatchery they're likely not really representative of either breed. Hatcheries don't breed to the standard. They're just rough likenesses of the breed they are supposed to be. There is a way you're supposed to be able to tell them apart by foot color, but I'm not sure which one is supposed to hatch which color since I don't keep them so I'll leave it to someone else to tell you.

They just called it a hatchery. We got them from this person who hatched the and kept them in a shed and they were the only place that had jerseys in the area at the time. How big will they get? One got a first place blue ribbon and the other slightly smaller one got a second place red ribbon.

The get about 5 pounds if female, and approximately 8 pounds if male. Which is, ironically, the same size as hatchery sourced Jersey Giants. Your birds are likely bred from hatchery stock.

Are you sure they are australorps? Why don't the hatchery jerseys get big?

Back
Top Bottom