New issues...fighting, scared chicken and noise! Help please!

Kirstie1978

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
I have had chickens for about 7 years and yesterday my old bantam silkie was hiding in the coop. It appears the year old warren has started fighting with her. I'm not sure how to stop it as today she won't come out of the coop and isn't really eating unless I feed her by hand. I have set up 2 feeding stations and so on to help. I am not sure if it's a dominance thing or what and wanted some advice on how to best deal with it. She's had a rough time loosing all 6 of her companions over the years and was fine when these 2 arrived as chicks a year ago although she never bonded with them like the others. The large bluebell seems to be no issue with her just the warren. She's even going into the coop to attack her. Do I remove the warren for a while or the silkie permanently??

The other issues is now there's relentless noise from the warren like a in the mornings before the coop door has even opened (it's a dusk till dawn one)
Thanks I need to sort ASAP but need to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd remove the aggressor and give her a few days time out.

Could be the silkie is nearing the end and the warren knows that.....
......they can sometimes drive out ailing/weak flock members.
Could be the warren is molting and crabby?

You only have the 3 birds?
Small 'flocks' can be harder to manage.
Do they have plenty of space?

Agrees, removing the bully for a time out would help in the short term,
long term, not sure.

They have the whole garden and have lived together for the past year and a but. The silkie has always been top of the pecking order. It's only been past couple of days really. She is terrified and spending all her time I the coop. She is even skittish around me whereas she always used to jump up and sit on my lap for a cuddle.
I have segregated them. The bluebell and bantam silkie have the garden and the warren is in a sectioned off area in the garden with hutch and dog crate. The silkie I have brought out and she flees back to the coop still (she's not broody as she is sitting in the bottom or top but not on the egg in there) but hoping it will settle. If it is the end of her days at 7years at least she will be happy and it won't be filled with fear but free roaming instead!
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I've never had this issue Q

Might be a pecking order change....silkie has lost her top spot to warren, and warren is reminding her.
Could be silkie is molting and not feeling well?

Isolate silkie if she is skittish around you. Check her eyes closely and make certain she can see OK. Have you noticed a change in her voice. The change in dynamic is because of the silkie.

I segregated the warren yesterday as had to go out. The silkie has come out this morning happily so far. I will monitor her closely. I am away for a week and so want them to be safe as I have someone else house sitting and will deal with it all in 2 weeks when I'm back. Think it's pecking order change with the silkie being 7 or so now sadly and being a bantam.

Any thoughts on how to reintroduce the warren in a couple of weeks and prevent this happening again/minimising the stress??

I segregated the warren yesterday as had to go out. The silkie has come out this morning happily so far. I will monitor her closely. I am away for a week and so want them to be safe as I have someone else house sitting and will deal with it all in 2 weeks when I'm back. Think it's pecking order change with the silkie being 7 or so now sadly and being a bantam.

Any thoughts on how to reintroduce the warren in a couple of weeks and prevent this happening again/minimising the stress??
I think some of the same principles would apply here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/reintegrating-a-recovered-hen-to-a-small-flock

Back
Top Bottom