new breeds to add to our flock?

Yes, nice to have variety of color both in the eggs & breeds šŸ˜Ž Weā€™re happy with all the temperaments & chatter with everyone, so maybe Iā€™m overthinking the docile thing if they imprint well with us as chicks? When I was a kid we had barnyard mixes (egg layers) and quite a few were Ameraucana & a good rooster we named Red (maybe he was RIR or something of a RIR cross, idk?). Just trying to keep pecking issues down if they have to be in coop during SUPER cold temps like we just hadā€¦thanks for sharing!
Oh I'm right there with you! I work really hard in planning my additions for egg color, chicken breed/color AND personality! I do love RIR's but I no longer get them because I've had mean ones in the past. Another bummer is no Delawares... CCL is THE sweetest breed in my flock, I always add them due to sweetness and blue egg laying. They're also very pretty! You did get personality right with Orpingtons and Sussex for sure. But also I've never had a mean Wyandotte or Maran's. I've only had nice OE's and EE's and my Barnevelder is nice but so shy, fradey chicken, low gal on the order (so that's why I didnt recommend that breed.) My Welsummer is grumpy and I don't recommend them also if nice/sweet is paramount for you. Have Fun!!

Oh I'm right there with you! I work really hard in planning my additions for egg color, chicken breed/color AND personality! I do love RIR's but I no longer get them because I've had mean ones in the past. Another bummer is no Delawares... CCL is THE sweetest breed in my flock, I always add them due to sweetness and blue egg laying. They're also very pretty! You did get personality right with Orpingtons and Sussex for sure. But also I've never had a mean Wyandotte or Maran's. I've only had nice OE's and EE's and my Barnevelder is nice but so shy, fradey chicken, low gal on the order (so that's why I didnt recommend that breed.) My Welsummer is grumpy and I don't recommend them also if nice/sweet is paramount for you. Have Fun!!
I forgot to mention the Delaware, Black Copper Maran, or Wyandotte breed..maybe since there are so many out there! Hm, glad to hear your CCLs are so nice and OEs, EEs and Marans :D
We have our one RIR hen who I think makes up for being small by picking on others :rolleyes: and the other is a love bug. Iā€™m thinking of making a chicken sling to carry the cuddle chicks around if they want to hang out & I can use both my hands. Some will probably like it, others will be ā€œmeh..put me down I was busy!ā€which is fine either way. The sweetest in our flock is probably the Buff Brahmas, the only terror coming from them is chasing a sparrow who dares to squeeze through the chicken wire (roof of their run) for a bit of their feed.

I forgot to mention the Delaware, Black Copper Maran, or Wyandotte breed..maybe since there are so many out there! Hm, glad to hear your CCLs are so nice and OEs, EEs and Marans :D
We have our one RIR hen who I think makes up for being small by picking on others :rolleyes: and the other is a love bug. Iā€™m thinking of making a chicken sling to carry the cuddle chicks around if they want to hang out & I can use both my hands. Some will probably like it, others will be ā€œmeh..put me down I was busy!ā€which is fine either way. The sweetest in our flock is probably the Buff Brahmas, the only terror coming from them is chasing a sparrow who dares to squeeze through the chicken wire (roof of their run) for a bit of their feed.

I know a farm in Columbus that hatches cream legbars and Icelandics. Travel north closer to Norfolk for Bielefelder. Disadvantage for you is that all local farms only sell straight run, so you need a plan for rooster chicks.

For hatchery chicks, the sweetest birds I ever got were a white sex link (I think called Amberlink) I got at Tractor Supply. They were the NICEST, friendliest birds. The problem was they weren't very hardy and all became egg bound during their second year of laying.

I know a farm in Columbus that hatches cream legbars and Icelandics. Travel north closer to Norfolk for Bielefelder. Disadvantage for you is that all local farms only sell straight run, so you need a plan for rooster chicks.

For hatchery chicks, the sweetest birds I ever got were a white sex link (I think called Amberlink) I got at Tractor Supply. They were the NICEST, friendliest birds. The problem was they weren't very hardy and all became egg bound during their second year of laying.
OOOoh, that is so tempting for chicks! The Icelandics and cream legbars are pretty birds - love the coloring. And the Bielefelders are adorable.
That is always the tough part - to plan for roosters (and I LOVE both our boys!!!).

Yes, for sure my sweetest gal was a hatchery chick (from TSC). That was Spot, a black australorp hen, she was haha our "rooster". We thought with our original flock of 6 (black australorp and RIR) we didn't have a rooster :D
I did experience an egg bound hen/pullet early in her laying. I am sad that happened with your sweet Amberlinks šŸ˜­. The egg bound issue was with one of our Calico Princess gals, but I do keep in mind it happened and to keep my eyes peeled. She is running around and as sweet as ever! When she had started laying they were huge double yolk eggs. After that issue her body must have regulated and she lays a nice large egg these days. It sure is something to balance with ones flock for egg (or meat) production or go with more a heritage breed (both kinds - hybrid or heritage - may live long given good care šŸ„°).

Hey,
Just wondered about any suggestions here for possible breeds of chicks to add to our flock this spring?

First let me share what we have currently: 2 roosters, 18 hens, 2 chicken tenders šŸ¤£ (DH and myself)
At 3-4 (??) years old Lavender Orpington hen šŸ’œ

At 2 years old: Black Australorp rooster and Black Australorp hen
Rhode Island rooster and Rhode Island hens (x2)

At 1 year old: California White (x2)
Calico Princess (x4)
Buff Brahma (x2)
Buff Plymouth Rock (x1), Barred Plymouth Rock (x2)
Sapphire Gem (x3)

We're in east central Nebraska and are interested in these breeds:

Buff Orpington (the Buff Plymouth Rock was supposed to be a Buff Orp from a store, and we love her all the same! She had yellow legs & somewhat bigger comb/wattles versus our other chick with white/pink legs...we lost the Buff Orpington this last fall, and liked her personality)

Speckled Sussex (pretty chicken and docile temperament?)

Wyandotte (not sure about heat hardiness + humidity in NE?)

Jubilee Orpington or Black Australorp (love our BA - sweet & chatty)

Honestly, we know to keep our addition small with how many we currently have...we're talking 4 chicks in total. We lost a Golden Comet & RIR to a weasel in spring (fixed our "old coop" for that issue), my favorite BA in summer (? heat or unknown/sudden death), and the Buff Orp in fall (reproductive issue - lash egg). We obviously have a mix of breeds, but since these birds are so much our PETS - I don't mind if we stick to the heritage breeds and the more docile ones :) and yes, I know any breed can obviously have issues like the Buff Orp -- was thinking I'd have to watch the Golden Comet when she got older for reproductive issues, not have her & RIR killed by a stinking weasel :hit
We're assuming most of these breeds would be at our local farm stores (Bomgaars, TSC, Buchheit), but if you know of any breeders say within 3-4 hour drive of Omaha, NE we are definitely up for a road trip for chicks! We live in the country, so giving Omaha as a major point of reference šŸ˜Ž

Let me know your thoughts on these breeds, and share some that may not be on here that you like/own!
Loved your comment about 2 chicken tenders. lol I know people think I'm crazy, but I love love love my chickens. I took someone out to mine the other day and called Molly who I dearly love, and like always she talks to me. The person said "she answered you back!" in amazement. Well of course she did. They all do, and they all have their own voice and sounds and personality's. When I'm cleaning the coop in the am, whoever is laying atm is constantly chatting with me. Who would not love these conversations? lol

I raise similar size chickens (all purebred except the sapphire gem)Her and my 2 black australorps are used as broody hens (20 hens total) My smallest are brown leghorns. My legbar roosters are smaller than the australorps and bigger than the leghorns (none of my hens have injuries from overmating or bare necks)

Loved your comment about 2 chicken tenders. lol I know people think I'm crazy, but I love love love my chickens. I took someone out to mine the other day and called Molly who I dearly love, and like always she talks to me. The person said "she answered you back!" in amazement. Well of course she did. They all do, and they all have their own voice and sounds and personality's. When I'm cleaning the coop in the am, whoever is laying atm is constantly chatting with me. Who would not love these conversations? lol
Yeah, never thought I'd be the "crazy chicken lady" but hey, they are so fun! The BA in my profile pic is always bugging me for attention - any of them I can scoop up for a little bit of cuddles. lol, the coop chatter is fun to hear! The buff rock is usually the one to walk the bars in front of the nest boxes, be curious what is going on in the coop & talk with me. šŸ˜‚ keep enjoying your chicken chats šŸ™‚

I raise similar size chickens (all purebred except the sapphire gem)Her and my 2 black australorps are used as broody hens (20 hens total) My smallest are brown leghorns. My legbar roosters are smaller than the australorps and bigger than the leghorns (none of my hens have injuries from overmating or bare necks)
Good to know sizing of your legbar rooster - they are a pretty breed for sure. I feel I say that about all of them, but it is true birds (chickens) are neat in feather patterns/colors and also personalities šŸ˜
Thanks for sharing about your flock. Hoping someday to let a broody hen have some chicks or hatch from their own eggs šŸ˜Ž I miss our one BA (we lost her last year) - she would go broody like clockwork every month...we just didn't have the setup for any chicks or enough space in a secure run either.

Back
Top Bottom