Lost one of the girls to a hawk

paiton

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2016
This is my first set of girls we had 7 (2ducks as well) and lost one to a hawk on Wednesday. They've been put in their run since then but I know they aren't enjoying it. They're 11 weeks old we have a lot of coverage so I'm shocked it happened. I know you risk that when you free range but they're so much happier out. I've seen on other threads to keep them put up for 3 or so weeks. It was devastating to lose one but I'm missing seeing them out. Any advice?! No one was home during the attack either so maybe just letting them be free when I'm home? I've seen hawks still attack then so I'm at a loss

I hate hate HATE hawks! I've had them come crashing through the trees/bushes surrounding our yard, trying to get to my birds. That being said, they won't come near us humans, so spending lots of time outside seems to help. I would go ahead and try penning them while you're gone; it's the easiest and least expensive solution, and it might do the trick.

Has anyone ever tried using one of those fake owls to protect against raptors? Or would they just scare the flock?

The fake owls are useless, except as decorations. Keeping the flock in a covered run and safe coop is the best plan, for ten to twenty days, and usually the hawk will have moved on. This is migration season, so beware! I find hawks to be a much less serious threat than dogs or foxes during the day; either will kill MANY birds in a short time, rather than the one bird every three days or so taken by a hawk. Mary

That's what I have been reading this is their migration time! They got my girl then the next evening we had 6 flying around us. Their run is completely covered now luckily I figured out what it was that night so we fixed that the next day. I'm glad they were out though I think we would have had more killed. They were all very well hidden I actually thought I lost them all but two. They've been out free ranging for quite awhile so I really didn't have any worries then nature happened :( just thankful I've got everyone else

I lost two bantam hens 10 days ago to what I think was either a hawk or an owl. The head from one girl had been pulled off but not eaten. The other girl had no markings that I could see. Anyway,
the crows have been going crazy since then. I've heard that crows and hawks don't play well. Also, tonight I noticed two owls in the trees above my coops. I guess my point is that once they've tasted chicken then they'll be back. The word is out! I would't let them out of my sight for quite some time. Maybe they can free-range with someone outside with them. I get home usually just before it gets dark. I'm out there with them knowing that they'll go in the coops before nightfall. Usually ~ one hour. They seem satisfied with that. Whatever you do, don't let them free range alone until the hawks have moved on. At least several weeks.

I'm sorry for your loss.

@b58chtec im sorry for your loss as well!! I let them out yesterday (I am home all day Sunday's) I was in and out of the house with them and luckily I didn't see anything watching them. Doesn't mean I didn't miss anything but no attempts to harm them.They'll be staying in their run while I'm gone. Thank you everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom