Lost two of my girls in broad daylight yesterday. The other two do NOT want to be kept in an enclosure. What do I do?

Sorry for your loss, free ranging is always a challenge.
If legal where you live, electric poultry netting is good against most land predators. Premier1supplies.com has it, and advice that's excellent also.
Keep your survivors locked in their safe coop and run until you can sort this out, at least. Annoyed but alive...
This was not a hawk, it's a four footed predator, who will be back. Can you set up a game camera? Might help ID this culprit.
Somehow it seems that the favorite birds are lost first, and it's hard to face. So sorry.
Mary
I agree. Premiere One fencing is excellent and their support as well. Give them a call at 800 282-6631. They are very helpful. Perhaps you could limit their free run area to what you can afford in the way of fencing. Sorry for your loss.

large run until you get a farm dog. Pyrenees, yes or the old southern white farm dog. AKA Scott America Bulldog. They are very popular in FL as hog and cattle dogs. unlike the pitbull these are family and animal friendly" farm" working guard dogs.
I did put in two application for Pyrenees/Retriever mixes this morning.

Sorry for your loss :hugs I agree you should keep waiting for your other Prairie Bluebell, she might turn up! ❤️

We have ten hens in a large coop + run. We have a lot of predators as well, pretty much the same situation as you. We built a sort of tractor for them, so they could free-range without being in danger. Ours looks a lot like this one:
1702392714802.png

We put them in the pen in the summer, and then we let them free range supervised for a while before putting them back in the coop.

In the winter, they are in the coop/run all day. We supervise them free-ranging for about 45 minutes to an hour before shooing them back into the coop when it gets dark. We usually let them out from 4pm to 5pm (no hawks are hunting at this time, and it is before the coyotes hunt).

I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck! :frow

They're in the duck run currently, pacing back and forth and looking for a way out (but yes, alive <3). I've got your site up and will look at the netting. I was looking at the game cameras this morning, I thought the same thing.

As an interim solution, I think I will fence in the immediate side yard where I can lean out and see everything. That way the girls can semi free range. Long term is definitely improved fencing solutions, dogs (I've put in an inquiry on two this AM but they're pups so that will take time), and maybe some traps.

But you're right. Red was the sweetest. I can't imagine the fear she felt before the end. I hope it was quick.
Foxes are one of the biggest threats to chickens because they're smart .They'll study us for weeks or months , learn our routine and plan their attack accordingly.They also love ducks

Foxes are one of the biggest threats to chickens because they're smart .They'll study us for weeks or months , learn our routine and plan their attack accordingly.They also love ducks
Technically we have foxes in Florida (more in North Florida) but I've never seen anyone or spoken with anyone whose seen one or had their flock attacked by one down south here.

Not seeing a particular critter isn't relevant here, everyone does love chicken!
Our biggest single loss was to our own dog when our fencing failed, a few years ago. The other bad day was in the afternoon to a fox. Otherwise, an occasional single bird to a hawk, a much more manageable problem. And no losses are good!
I do hope your other hen makes it home.
Mary

Dogs as protectors: the most expensive and time consuming method by far, and will require fencing to keep them at home too. Most people say two years to get a dog actually working, and I'm not so sure that two puppies at once will do as well as one and then another later.
Electric fencing, a big secure coop and safe run, and expect that you will lose birds sometimes.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom